HTC Tells Apple to Compete and Stop Complaining

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Bah, sent sooner than I should but who else had a graphical OS before Apple MAC? Not innovative??? hah! True the concept was from Xerox but Apple made a fully functional graphical OS before anyone! New and Original! People can hate Apple but cannot deny the success is for a good reason.[/citation]
Actually you're wrong, because Xerox commercialized a fully functional GUI OS with the Xerox 8010 before Apple did. In fact Apple GUI OS was pretty much based on the GUI of Xerox. In 79 Apple visited the Xerox Palo Alto three times for a demonstration of the GUI.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]getritch[/nom]Not trying to start an argument, just saying this specifically isn't true. Tablets have been around since the 90s. Check out this video.http://www.knightfoundation.org/bl [...] -pre-ipad/skip to about 3 mins and there you'll see a feature on tablets. As for phones...what was a palm pilot? an Ipad with worse technology.~~[/citation]

Its not an argument to be made :) Thanks for the video link, its interesting. The tablet device in the video was a concept of a possible future technology and pretty good prediction. The technology wasn't possible back then, much less 5 years ago.

But the Apple Newton PDA (pen based) came out before that video, in mid-1993 and was in development for about 2 years. Its goal was to be more powerful, but apple didn't want it to interfere with Mac sales, so they dumbed it down.

The iPad has some roots with the Newton which came out before the Palm which launched the PDA market which lasted until cellphones had the same features.

In the movie 2001 (1968?) , the astronauts are watching a video on a tablet.

Oh, and no... the Palm Pilot was NOT "an iPad with worse technology"... Its OLD technology. Back in the 90s, it was very best they cold make with what is available.

I remember many clients buying Palms and HP-WindowsCE devices, paying $200~600 for these PDAs... without any of the advance multimedia or gaming abilities we get today. So, $480 for an iPad is a good deal.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]Eh say what? Look it up. I did. And you know what. Apple is far down the list on 14th place.Here you go take a look your self. Try hving some smarts to actually look it up your self. Sigh how pathetic to try and glorify apple.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_ [...] _companies[/citation]

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41473211/Apple_Is_Most_Valuable_Company_on_Earth_Analysts

Try using something other than wikipedia for once buddy boy. It's kinda pathetic when someone tries to use the googles and the internets to act smart. Then again, I just watched the news, but meh, same thing, lol.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Bah, sent sooner than I should but who else had a graphical OS before Apple MAC? Not innovative??? hah! True the concept was from Xerox but Apple made a fully functional graphical OS before anyone! New and Original! People can hate Apple but cannot deny the success is for a good reason.[/citation]

Who cares what was made a long time ago?! That was then, this is now. Look at what is happening TODAY. And what's happening today is that Apple sells tons of re-invented tech to brainwashed clueless zombies. (Some Mac users are actually smart people and have clear reasons to use a Mac, but these are rare and even they hate other Apple stuff - iPhone and such).

I can second everything that's been written above about how Apple's ideas are not innovative. mp3 players were around since... was it around 2001? - and they were doing just fine before Apple "re-invented" them by adding a useless touch wheel to control the device and a screen to break your eyes by watching movies on it (watch movies on small screen = messingup your eyes). PDAs were there long before the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, and they were basically touch-screen devices with their own OS, phone functionality and could do pretty much everything (if not more) what modern tablets and smartphones can do. Except the hardware was weaker at that time - but that was 6-8 years back and at that time having a 400 MHz CPU in your PDA was considered mighty =) They were good devices, but were phased out by new touch smartphones. It was probably for the best, because Windows Mobile pissed a lot of people off, but don't you dare say that Apple invented anything in that area. Re-thought, marketed, brainwashed, but NOT invented. Enough said.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Who cares what was made a long time ago?! That was then, this is now. Look at what is happening TODAY. And what's happening today is that Apple sells tons of re-invented tech to brainwashed clueless zombies. (Some Mac users are actually smart people and have clear reasons to use a Mac, but these are rare and even they hate other Apple stuff - iPhone and such). I can second everything that's been written above about how Apple's ideas are not innovative. mp3 players were around since... was it around 2001? - and they were doing just fine before Apple "re-invented" them by adding a useless touch wheel to control the device and a screen to break your eyes by watching movies on it (watch movies on small screen = messingup your eyes). PDAs were there long before the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, and they were basically touch-screen devices with their own OS, phone functionality and could do pretty much everything (if not more) what modern tablets and smartphones can do. Except the hardware was weaker at that time - but that was 6-8 years back and at that time having a 400 MHz CPU in your PDA was considered mighty =) They were good devices, but were phased out by new touch smartphones. It was probably for the best, because Windows Mobile pissed a lot of people off, but don't you dare say that Apple invented anything in that area. Re-thought, marketed, brainwashed, but NOT invented. Enough said.[/citation]

Umm.. Most people I have ever seen that use/have a mac love other Apple stuff.. And that's understandable when all of their products have the exact same "feel"... So I'm not sure who you've seen.. I'd think your experience is more of the exception than the rule..

But absolutely.. I would agree that they really haven't invented anything new.. Something that has never existed on the planet before.. However, bar none, their "re-thought, marketed, and brainwashed" products have been more successful than anything before. There were mp3 players.. And quite obviously, Apple made something that more people wanted, obviously.. And whether that is through just shear design, marketing, or demonic underhanded deals (>.>) it is still an amazing accomplishment. I had mp3 players before the iPod, and while they were definitely doing fine.. once i used an iPod.., wow.. I wouldn't go back to what I had before.. just miserable using them.. And I've tried a few recently for running, swimming, etc, and I just don't like the way they "feel". (messes up eyes? any sources? Not cynid, just curious.. sounds like made up urban legends like the sitting too close to the tv myth..)

And as for the PDA's 6-8 years ago.. When I had just finished my technical training for the navy back in '03 I was issued an Axim X3, and holy crap those things were horrible.. As well as most other PDA's back then (the navy didn't keep track of them, and alot of people sold theirs to trade up in that area because they thought having a better one was cool..) the thought behind them was amazing.. the ideas we had for possible uses with them, but the platform just wasn't capable of doing it. (which of course, is a platform issue, not a product issue) and because of that they disappeared for the most part. Apple came in, and re-launched them in a big way, with lots of marketing and hype, and now look where we are at. Like Android? Thank Apple.. because it wouldn't be here without it. Like your lil G Slates? Thank Apple.. They wouldn't be here either.

You know.. one of my biggest gripes with the whole idiotic Anti-Apple crowd.. Is how the entire world can do something, yet when Apple does the same.. they flip. If you don't like re-thought and marketed stuff.. I suppose you would also be wearing fur(the original clothing), driving Ford Model T's (basically the original car.....basically.), and etc.. Things are always re-thought, re-designed, and re-released. It's called advancement. Happens every day. And yeah, some people are blind Apple fanatics, and they need to wake up too.. The PC "genre" has alot of amazing and fun things, and ideas. It's almost like two battling religions.. Each thinks the other is better, when they really are clearly not, and instead, they look like idiots to everyone around them. I simply use a couple of their products because I just plain and simply enjoy using them. Just like my Jeep. Just like my GSXR. Just like everything else in like. I try many things, and then use what I like the most :p

G

I agree with HTC and fair competition. If HTC did not copy anything she can defense herself. I try to offer you guys a completely different perspective. Our world economy has been running just too fast now and serious competition resulted in over consumption of natural resources, too much energy being burnt and finally world environment cracked down. Why do a dual-core android cell phone (ideally with twice the speed) sold just as much as single-core 2 years ago(put inflation aside) and the android phone is even depreciate faster than an iphone4? Because the so-called serious competition did it. Feature wise, if your new hardware, new system is so great why don't you sell a new phone at twice as much as iphone and compete with diginity? You don't sell well and you lower the price, create newer models and equip faster hardware. That's really the main problem of fair competition and it is honestly a dead end. I suggest we should extend our current product cycle and the whole industry should slow down from now on. Please research in more durable battery with more charging cycles, circuits that give out less heat and last longer, waterproof design of smartphone, drive the cost down so that everyone can afford,.....honestly, we don't actually need the extra 200, 500 MHz, dual core, super vivid AMOLED, a few more megapixels camera or a few more lines of display resolution for an everyday life smart phone and that's all other manufacturers except apple and sony are doing.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Couldn't be bothered to look through all the comments (sorry), however the iPad name isn't even Apple's invention (Fujitsu-Siemens), much like iPhone (Infogear/Cisco) isn't... nor is iPod (a man in NJ coined the phrase with respects to internet kiosks).

Such an innovative company, they can't even think up original names.

Status
Not open for further replies.