HTC Vive HMD connection fails (possibly overheating?)

apriest8781

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
I recently had a marathon VR session when a buddy and his kids were visiting for the weekend. We spent most of the day taking turns playing on the HTC vive, but around 6pm the headset started to "Lose Tracking". I'd restart the headset and things would be find for a bit... but about 10-15 minutes later it would lose tracking again. We did this about 3-4 times and eventually the HMD completely quit communicating with the computer.

The HMD LED would blink Red and SteamVR would not recognize that the headset was connected. I tried every possible remedy that HTC recommends for this type of problem. Including, removing USB drivers and through the steamVR developer settings, changing the USB port, re-installing SteamVR, Re-installing Vive set-up software, restarting the computer, restarting the link box. None of these made any difference.

I boxed up the HMD and went to sleep. The next night I decided to try it again... and it worked without any problem. Has anyone else experienced this. I would have appreciated more actual feedback if the problem was simply that the HMD was overheated, as opposed to just simply failing to work at all.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Well like with most things and electronic components, sensors or chips used.

They all have a defined tempreture range where they will work to the most efficient.
And then where is they reach a tempreture outside of the ranges specified in heat terms. optimally

Where they may function with undesirable effects.

It would suggest that it needs to be looked at, buy HTC at some point.
Or for the Vive to have the addition of a fan included of a quiet nature to cool the device.
As it is clearly heat effecting the sensor, or component involved of the HDM.

Basically by leaving it off for a few hours it was proved that heat buildup was the most likely cause as to it semi failing to perform a task or process.

So yes overheating of a sensor or component, chip fitted to the vive.

apriest8781

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

That's obvious. I'm curious if it's just something that is happening to this particular HMD or if this is a more common problem with the HTC vive. I would have expected the Demo units being used at live in-store demo's to have shown this if it was a common issue.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
I don't know about common. You are the first one I've heard, however a quick Google search returns a reddit user the same issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4uipc9/update_headset_tracking_issue_overheating/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4dzmy0/i_think_i_broke_my_vive/

apriest8781

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Yeah I saw that on reddit too, but I didn't want to create a reddit account so I thought I'd post here to see if more TH users were seeing this. Seems like it may just be a one off issue that makes it through QC because really... who's going to play with a vive for 8+ hours as part of QA.