TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hi There,

Their are two things right now that I really want, an HTC Vive and a laptop for my work. I'm wondering what would u guys chose if u had didn't have a vive or a laptop. NOTE, u have a desktop that can handle the vive. NOTE 2, the laptop is just for work so for use with microsoft office and music production software (Ableton Live). The laptop in question is the surface pro 3 i7. I'm scared that a new vive will come out soon and new games will only support that vive and NOT the original.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from TheRealDJDuckVenom : "HTC Vive or Laptop?"

You can also ask a mod to change the category for you.

What will the laptop offer? Is office a must for work? Do you have to have a laptop at work? There are too many questions to steer you away from buying something for work that earns money to pay for a Vive later.

Sakkura

Distinguished
The Vive is a SteamVR headset. Other headsets will come out with SteamVR support later; LG has shown off a prototype already. Once that arrives, the fact that it uses SteamVR means games for that newer headset will also work on the older Vive, as long as no new hardware features are used (eg. if the controllers have analog sticks instead of trackpads).

There are other options though. Microsoft has partnered with various manufacturers to launch VR headsets this year, most of them targeting much lower price points (as low as $300).

And the Oculus Rift is now offering basically everything the Vive does, plus some things it doesn't, for $200 less (the Rift supports SteamVR so again game compatibility isn't really an issue).

So it's not really a great time to buy a Vive. Maybe you could buy a cheaper laptop AND an Oculus Rift? Or wait for the Microsoft VR headsets.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Sakkura speaks dirty malicious lies. He's been a Rift loyalist since I can remember. ;)

To ease your worries...
- I suspect it will be about 2 years until Vive releases their next headset.
Looking at the news, the new base stations will not be backwards compatible with gen1 of Vive. You also have Wireless tech which is being evaluated, and the Vive Trackers.

Pretty much, there is a BUNCH of new tech which will be add-ons onto the Vive system, and they are not going to release a new system so quickly and mess up the ecosphere. They will let everything settle and likely wait till a new competitor enters the market, or it has been long enough to release everything at once.

SOO! If you get a Vive, I wouldn't expect a new system for at least 2 years.
Next up will be a bunch of products for the Vive Tracker, wireless tech, and new controllers.

NOW!!!
the question.. of the laptop or the Vive?
That is a deeply personal question, which random people on the internet should not make for you.

So, lets ask the Adult questions:
- Would your work be better off with a laptop?
- Will that laptop make you more $$$?
- Why are you buying a laptop for work? Can't the company buy you one?
- Do you have any outstanding debts that should be paid in lieu of purchasing an entertainment luxury?

Finally.. let me take apart the Surface Pro...
- have you priced the keyboards on that thing?!
- Why go a Surface versus a conventional laptop? Do you really need the touch-features for work?
- you can get a more powerful laptop with a keyboard and mouse for cheaper and better for actual productivity.

LASTLY! Here is some REALLY important info you need in making your decision...

>> https://uploadvr.com/steam-reveals-fallout-4-doom-vfr-prices/
"Either way, Bethesda has the VR line-up to beat at E3 this year, and we can’t wait to get our hands on both of these games at the show. Both games can now be pre-purchased on Steam for the super keen. It doesn’t look like either is officially coming to the Oculus Rift, which isn’t too surprise seeing as Bethesda’s parent company, Zenimax Media, recently sued Oculus to the tune of $500 million."

(actually, this was just a poke at Sakkura.) :)

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. I'm actually a college student and the work is for my classes xD. I have priced the keyboard as well, but I think I made my decision. The Vive. I absolutely love the f*****g thing, and now that u have eased me with the information with the vive, it has made my decision easier. What sakkura said about the oculus being cheaper is b******t. The oculus needs 3 sensors for the best tracking and more is better (Linus Tech Tips proved this). So with the total of 3 sensors, touch controls and the headset it self, it comes to £657 and the vive is £102 more with better tracking and native support for steam vr. Also developers are making more games for the vive

Anyway, thanks :D

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Glad you've come to a decision. What's the specs of your PC? Others may have this same dilemma. Plus I'm curious :D

Sakkura

Distinguished

The Rift has equally good tracking accuracy, better comfort, better convenience (built-in headphones), better controllers, better software, better performance (ASW). What's it missing? Tracking volume if you have a very large space for VR. Front-facing camera, I guess. And wireless kits are coming sooner to Vive, if you're into that.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I've been gaming since the Commodore 64, Atari 2600 and so many PCs and consoles. I eventually became a PC gamer. Long story short, I will be purchasing the Vive after many months of research.

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

i5 6500, GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB, H110M-S2H Mobo, 8gb of Corsair vengeance RAM, 240gb ssd, 1tb hdd

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

I put this as a discussion, not a question, Sorry xD

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I think you would benefit enough to warrant an investment in 8GB of RAM identical to what's installed or a 16GB kit, shelving the current module(s) for troubleshooting if that need ever arises.