HTC Wildfire vs Nokia E5 vs SE X10 mini Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer282

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hello,
Quite a long title I know :p. Anyway i'm pretty stuck for choosing between these three phones. I'm really leaning towards the HTC Wildfire, but have read how the screen is crappy. I'm not fond of the mini pro's size and Sony Ericsson's glitchy phones (judging from experience). The Nokia E5 is awesome but has a really rubbish symbian interface and everything is horribly buried (father has one). Which would you guys recommend? This would be my first smart phone by the way. Is the HTC Wildfire's screen really all that bad?

EDIT: recommendations of any other phones are welcome.

Solution
The main problem with Wildfire is it's screen(as you mentioned),here's a review
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_wildfire-review-495.php
"At 3.2” and QVGA resolution, the HTC Wildfire touchscreen offers the lowest pixel density we have seen lately and that’s a real disadvantage for the picture quality. 125 ppi is pretty good for a computer screen but you look at it from a much greater distance. The Wildfire you are meant to hold in your hands.

The contrast levels of the LCD unit are also quite underwhelming and we’re particularly disappointed with the depth of blacks on the Wildfire screen. The brightness levels are good but they are not enough of a boost for the overall poor picture quality.

And the Wildfire isn’t any better when exposed...
The main problem with Wildfire is it's screen(as you mentioned),here's a review
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_wildfire-review-495.php
"At 3.2” and QVGA resolution, the HTC Wildfire touchscreen offers the lowest pixel density we have seen lately and that’s a real disadvantage for the picture quality. 125 ppi is pretty good for a computer screen but you look at it from a much greater distance. The Wildfire you are meant to hold in your hands.

The contrast levels of the LCD unit are also quite underwhelming and we’re particularly disappointed with the depth of blacks on the Wildfire screen. The brightness levels are good but they are not enough of a boost for the overall poor picture quality.

And the Wildfire isn’t any better when exposed to direct sunlight either. You will struggle to find a proper angle for working with the phone when outside on a bright sunny day.

In general, the screen is where most of the cost-cutting has been done on the Wildfire. This doesn’t seem like a particularly smart move. The fact is, on a full-touch device the screen is almost all you look at and use. Having such a relatively large yet low-res screen creates a rather negative effect for the whole user experience.

On a positive note, the sensitivity of the capacitive touchscreen is excellent, plus 3.2” is more than enough space to press on. But still, a smaller display to make the low resolution less prominent might have made more sense, and the device would’ve been even more compact too. We just can’t see the point of making such a big QVGA screen. Neither Android nor HTC Sense looks good on it."

My vote goes for X10 mini between the 3 choices given

Solution

gamer282

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hmm yeah my first choice is the X10 mini pro, but then iv'e read way too many complaints about battery life etc etc. Seems like the Wildfire screen is really poor, which is a deal killer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.