HTPC Inside Nintendo NES Case For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
That's pretty cool, but I could make a similar rig, with an internal power supply, for less than that. Very cool, but too pricey for my books.

*Note: I realize he's trying to profit for his labor, I'm just sayin' :)

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Why can't I see the power supply? Is it external perhaps? I like the idea of a simple flash drive but would have gone with something bigger (sticking with silent flash) but for the price, it's pretty good I say. The netbook I am currently typing on has an atom and a Geforce 9300M and it struggles for 1080p playback through the HDMI, I don't know how the ion (with 9400m)in this device will perform.

RogerDeath

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I was looking forward to using different HDs like I would my old NES carts. Still pretty awesome though. Maybe I should take the lead and do the same for the SNES?

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Pretty cool idea, but just an Intel Atom? Come on, I'd use a i3 and then overclock the crap out of it! Then again, I'm inclined to overclock the crap out of anything I build...

dupaman

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I`ve been meaning to build something like this too, but I`d stuff the atom into my Sega Genesis rev2, which still looks pretty modern next to dvd/blu-ray players,etc. Seeing as how he only uses around $250 in parts in addition to the NES shell, the price is way too steep.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
That's some pretty slick case modding in the rear...

At least it's not on eBay: "This auction is for schematics to build your own NES HTPC Shitbox."

/end sarcasm

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Sure you could build it yourself and save a little but people sell these things because they know there are nerds out there that are lazy and have that extra dough.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I come to 360 CAD with the same board 4 gigs of memory and a 32GIG flash drive. So once you add modding up the nes case it may be worth it for some, but not for me. I would go with a laptop drive for some space. and YES, i DO have a spare nes sitting here(one is still connected to the TV, the other is awaiting something similar to that, but i will need some kind of USB -> NES controller adapter for a realistic feel).

Board/CPU
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38918&promoid=1069
Memory, may need some with smaller heatsinks.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45196&promoid=1069
Flash drive
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42756&promoid=1069

G

you can hack a wiimote to connect to bluetooth in win7, which you could use as a nes controller.

hotness.

spks19

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Very cool mod. I think the options to leave the hdd and power supply external were good choices. IIRC those old machines overheated with their massive 8 bit graphic potential. They ran at 1.78 mhz with an 8 bit (count them, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) PPU (picture processing unit). With dualing 16 Kbit (2kb) ram units, one for RAM and one for VRAM. This combo put out a whopping 256 x 240 resolution in the greatest year ever, 1986.

Status
Not open for further replies.