Huawei P9 vs. Galaxy S7: Even a Leica Can't Beat Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke_44

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
The P9 does have a whole range of options including panorama and slow mo, if you swipe in from the left.

slick_

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Appearantly you don't know much on photography or you are being well paid by Samsung to blemish the competition.
The Huawai is much better especially to true to life colors which make an image beautiful.
On Samsung colors and sharpness are over processed which resulta in unnatural i,age. Sahrp and lively tough not natural hence not beautiful.
Same experience between plasma and LCD or expensive speakers vs cheap speakers.
You see an image, a picture on the Samsung, a representation of reality on the P9.

kqafae

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
The reviewer either doesn't know a thing about photography or is paid by Samsung, Samsung oversharpens while Huawei doesn't, some images taken with the S7 look horrendous cause of the oversharpening, the S7 also tends to produce unnatural colours while Huawei's colours are much more accurate+ true to life, the colours may look pleasing on the S7 but they are still inaccurate. Oversharpened photos with inaccurate colours doesn't mean it's better, not to mention the P9 clearly has better white balance and more dynamic range than the S7.

benmoran

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
I have to agree with them that the P9 does take more natural photos than that of the S7 Edge. Though I find the exposure a bit disturbing here that the P9 seems to be darker from what I've seen in other comparisons. But let's see things go once more photos come available.

https://versus.com/en/huawei-p9-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge

Nothing against the S7 Edge here as I am a fan of both phones & brands as they perform well. Just a matter of which phone performs better camera wise.

Franciswu

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Sorry to say that the reviewer knows nothing about photography! It is clear that comparing the shots taken, the P9 has better contrast and dynamic range and natural tonal colors! The S7 has a yellowish tinge on all the shots..come on wake up be partial and do your job sincerely!!!'

Antonio_77

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Good job, the s7 is clearly better smartphone camera in low lights, also its aperture can archive a better bokeh effect. But where p9 i think is better is in dynamic range and colors. I prefer the s7 camera for the low light shots. But good review after all.

Franciswu

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Low light better in the S7, well please look at this unbiased review....
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/04/14/phone-camera-shootout-huawei-p9-dual-lens-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-vs-apple-iphone-6s-plus/

kqafae

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

He should have said super low light shots, tbh that's the only area where the S7 has an edge when it comes to photos, night shots on the P9 have more dynamic range, better colour balance and more accurate colours, the S7 is only better in conditions with next to no light.

bthdimension

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
If you just have a quick glimpse on the pictures that are way too small to be judged anyway, you may declare Samsung the winner since the pictures are saturated and sharp. But it is clearly visible in the only 100% crop in this series ("Daytime portrait") that the P9 has way more details and looks a lot more natural.

The Samsung overprocesses the image that already lacks detail by blurring it even more (to get rid of the noise) and then sharpening it again (results in artifacts). The colors are unnaturally oversaturated which, for people who know nothing about photography whatsoever, might look more appealing. But those same people use Instagram filters …

I myself purchased the S7 and it sometimes takes decent shots. But the P9 is a very clear winner here.

Andrewtst

Honorable
May 23, 2016
Seeing people comment make me laugh. A lot people include professional photographer keep comment natural photo is the correct photo and shall win.

Go check all photographer photos taken by DSLR which is true to reality? None of it is. All is extreme process.

Human love to see something never seen in natural more than whatever can seen all the times. This is fact and accept the reality.

kqafae

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

You mean entry level DSLRs, have you seen photos produced by higher end DSLRs? Unless post editing was applied afterwards all of them produce natural photos with lots of perserved natural details, giving the photographer a lot more room work with. There's a reason entry level DSLRs are entry level. Anyone who knows a thing or two about photography knows brighter and oversharpened doesn't mean better, they are good ways to ruin a photo.

bthdimension

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Of course saturated images with nice contrast are nice to look at and yes, sometimes the S7 gets it just right. I took some beautiful shots with it actually. BUT there are cases in which the software screws up and the overprocessing leads to artifacts or simply wrong colors. In those cases you're screwed because once you lost the actual details through noise filtering, blurring and then oversharpening, there is no way to get them back.

You are basically stuck with whatever the S7 thought would look good. But sometimes it actually doesn't look good at all or you were going for another look. And that's why we need more natural images from a camera. You can always process it afterwards but you can't get the natural shot back if it's already processed.

Also I kind of wanna document how it was to be at a place at a certain moment and I can't do that if the S7 software introduces unnatural colors and artifacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.