Hulu + Live TV price hike has me ready to cancel — here’s where I’m thinking of going

Jbelkin

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Yea, Hulu Live has the worst guide/interface of all time.

But Hulu Live andYouTubeTV I think are the only ones that has all the 4 networks (I think PBS is only on YouTubeTV) so if you want the major sports ... and of course, ESPN includes MNF ... for football fans, some do not even offer the option of NFL Network + RedZone as an extra option at all so ... like everything, it's complicated ... but at the end of the day, it's still 1/3 to 1/4th the price of cable for the same channels.

Aug 11, 2023
I recently cancelled Directv and found that ESPN+ only broadcasts the F1 race itself and none of the practices, qualifilyings, or pre-show.

I ended up grabbing F1 Pro at the yearly rate. 9 months of racing so saves ya about $10 a year

Aug 11, 2023
As someone who had Sling for a few years, I can safely say that the user interface was not great. And it was incredibly buggy (would regularly freeze, restart, disconnect from TV is using casting or return to Smart TV's home screen). For a while I thought it could have been my connection, but this happened elsewhere when I would cast or even just stream from my phone (and I'd test the connection prior). I'm interested to see your take on it or if improvements have been made in the last 6-8mos, but I struggled with it before I ended up getting an antenna again and using NOW through Xfinity with my Internet service. So far so good at the introductory rate of $20/mo.

Aug 11, 2023
As someone who had Sling for a few years, I can safely say that the user interface was not great. And it was incredibly buggy (would regularly freeze, restart, disconnect from TV is using casting or return to Smart TV's home screen). For a while I thought it could have been my connection, but this happened elsewhere when I would cast or even just stream from my phone (and I'd test the connection prior). I'm interested to see your take on it or if improvements have been made in the last 6-8mos, but I struggled with it before I ended up getting an antenna again and using NOW through Xfinity with my Internet service. So far so good at the introductory rate of $20/mo.
I've had Sling for years and have never had that issue. Perhaps it's related your TVs software? I have a Roku TV.

Aug 11, 2023
Why not just get Sling Blue+Orange?

It's like $63 after tax and you get all the cable channels you listed, plus more obviously, and you also get NBC, Fox, and ABC.

You also get ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN 3, which would give you access to every f1 race, qualifying, sprint, as well as P3, not sure if they air the first 2 practice sessions. ESPN 3 carries f2 and f3 if I'm not mistaken.

It's like $5 more than getting Sling Blue and F1TV, but you get access to ESPN this way.

Aug 11, 2023
Yea, Hulu Live has the worst guide/interface of all time.

But Hulu Live andYouTubeTV I think are the only ones that has all the 4 networks (I think PBS is only on YouTubeTV) so if you want the major sports ... and of course, ESPN includes MNF ... for football fans, some do not even offer the option of NFL Network + RedZone as an extra option at all so ... like everything, it's complicated ... but at the end of the day, it's still 1/3 to 1/4th the price of cable for the same channels.
You can get PBS for free through their own streaming app. Don't think it carries live, but you get everything on there as it airs iirc

Aug 11, 2023
I've had Sling for years and have never had that issue. Perhaps it's related your TVs software? I have a Roku TV.
I don't think that's it. Like I said, I used it across multiple TVs in different locations. I used both casting and directly logging in to Roku, AppleTV, Xfinity Flex, Smart TVs -- all had the same issues. I had good luck with YouTube TV for a while, but much like this article, when the price hike jumped from $64.99 to over $70, I tapped out. I will subscribe to other streaming services, but rotate them based on time of year, content, etc.