mjmcdonagh1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Hello,

I should start this with "I am a complete Hyper-V beginner" because I am...

I've setup Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V on an HP MicroServer, and used this guide: http://www.danielclasson.com/guide-how-to-create-and-configure-virtual-machines-in-hyper-v-server-2012-using-powershell/ to setup a VM on this machine.

Basically (and i'm sure this is a really noobish question) I'm not sure how to now install an OS on to the VM. I linked it to the Win7.iso I had on a flash drive, after failing to link it to the DVD I had burned from the .iso. But how do I now set it up, and start using the VM. So what's my next step?

Thank in advance,

Matt.

Solution
Hey

You are a hyper-v beginner, I think you should stick to the GUI and just operate your hyper-v machines through the hyper-v manager.

jihtu

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hey

You are a hyper-v beginner, I think you should stick to the GUI and just operate your hyper-v machines through the hyper-v manager.

Solution

mjmcdonagh1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Think the problem was that I hadn't realised you couldn't open a VM console from Hyper-V Server as there is no GUI at all.

Anyway, set up a Win 8.1 machine and can use Hyper-V manager to control the VM's.

Thanks for all your help.