Hyperx Cloud 12 or Revolver?

Zamblot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I am getting a new computer fairly soon and am looking to upgrade from my current set of headphones (turtle beach x12) I have heard amazing things about the HyperX Cloud series but ive heard that the hyperx revolver is the newer model and many people say its better. Why doesnt it have surround sound (surround sound is where you can hear whats to the right of you louder from the right ear right) if it is the newer model why would they remove surround sound? I dont really know what to buy but im leaning towards the cloud 2 because of its surround sound feature)
What is better and what are the benifits of the new revolver? Also i heard the revolver can become a wireless headset (i assume through bluetooth) can the cloud 2 also do the same?
Thank you

Solution

I'm not entirely sure if you've missed my comments, I haven't seen feedback in return so I'll make the suggestion just one more time if you have maybe missed it: The HyperX Cloud 1 and HyperX Cloud 2 are far better sound quality wise than any other HyperX headset models. If you're getting the Revolver, do know that you'll miss out on audio quality in comparison and quite a bit at that. Best value is the HyperX Cloud 1.

You can't use either wirelessly AFAIK, and you cannot remove the jack either.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
HyperX Cloud Revolver isn't better. The only good HyperX Clouds are the first and the second series. They are rebranded audiophile-beginner grade headphones. Any other models aren't. If you get the first one you're also getting the best one for the best price. IMO virtual surround is a gimmick, and I don't really care about it. It doesn't make you a better player/more aware. The best CS:GO players don't use virtual surround.

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-15 12:06 EST-0500

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
There is no such thing as surround sound in headphones, it is a gimmick. Surround sound only applies to a volume of space being filled with vibrations correctly. Your ears don't have a spacial volume to fill, and therefore the premise of surround sound headphones is fundamentally false.

You only have two ears, period. Surround sound is handled by your brain, not by USB dohickeys or multiple tiny low quality drivers.

A high quality set of audio monitors is always, hands down, the only solution.

I prefer Audio Technica because they are affordable and provide incredible sound and build quality.

You will get many responses here regarding how surround sound is a gimmick. Take a cheapo set of earbuds and go listen to a "surround sound" video on youtube. Believe it or not - you can hear in "surround" just with earbuds.

I would argue that virtual surround isn't a gimmick. It does indeed work. I've been using virtual surround software for my headset for over 2 years now.

But I do agree, don't get a headset ONLY for surround. Surround should be your secondary feature not primary.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The only way to know if a particular set of 'phones works for you is to listen to them.
Be they mono, stereo, surround, 18.4 1/2....whatever.

Buy from some where with a good return policy.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Yes, but it doesn't matter because anecdotal evidence isn't evidence at all!

There is no physical difference between the vibrations created by surround sound versus a single driver. It is still a frequency in the audible range. Everything is in Stereo (unless your headphones actually have line ins for each speaker, which it doesn't) - artificially separating stereo sound into multiple streams, whether you're using an analog crossover or a digital USB device makes zero difference in the end result. When filling a volume like a car or theater speaker positioning and sizing plays an important role. When it comes to headphones there is ostensibly zero difference, other than that multiple small speakers produce a lower quality sound then a single high quality driver.

Having multiple speakers that close together can introduce phasing and noise canceling issues, this is why surround sound systems in your home explicitly state to have a minimum distance between the speakers.

Zamblot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
So what your saying... is that surround sound doesnt matter so if i got the revolver then i would still hear enemies footsteps louder through the ear on the side they are coming from? So basically if i can get both for the same/a similar price i may as well get the revolvers for the wireless option (i wont use it loads but i admit it would be useful) EDIT : Also i wont be getting these for a while do you think there will be a cloud 3/revolver 2?

EchohcE

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Do you honestly think that the audio engineers that created this aren't aware of the physical imposisbility of 'true' surround sound with 2 speakers? The audio isn't physical surround sound, it's done in software. I also own a pair of HyperX Cloud IIs, and I can hear a difference between 'surround' and regular. Yes, we only have 2 speakers. Yes, physical surround sound is impossible with 2 speakers.

Thing is, IT'S NOT RELYING ON PHYSICAL SPEAKERS FOR THE SURROUND EFFECT. It's emulating surround sound in the software and manipulating variables such as pitch, echo, and per-speaker volume before it even gets to the physical speakers.

I have tested this extensively, and I have found that the surround feature allows me to hear not only 360 degrees in games, but it also has allowed me to hear more of the songs I listen to. As an example, 'Failure' by Breaking Benjamin has the second and third voices brought out more when surround is enabled. While not actual, physical surround sound, I think the feature is well worth the $20 over the Cloud 1s.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

That is simply called sound balancing. The same effect is identical when using a single driver set and equalizer. That effect has zero to do with surround sound, and everything to do with gain and amplification of certain frequencies.

Even when you can hear exactly where every sound is coming from? What then is your definition of real surround?

P.S. I'm not trying to attack you or in any way like that, I'm just trying to figure out what your saying.

Zamblot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

Hey i just want to know, are they hyperx cloud revolvers capable of going wireless, i heard in a video that they are and you can take the audio jack out. I may of just got the wrong idea but it sounded a a bit like they were wireless but i havent managed to find anything out about it being wireless so far... Can it go wireless if so does it use bluetooth and how to do charge it, Thanks :D (also... if it is wireless is the cloud 2 wireless as well? (i doubt it))

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013

Best explanation I found to be accurate for virtual surround:

When you use surround with headphones with two drivers the game is still sending audio to two rear channels that do not exist. You are loosing audio, simple as that. Headphone mode, the game matrixes the audio around your avatar in a virtual space using panning and volume adjustments in order to give your two headphone drivers correct 3D positional audio. Using surround with headphones that use software Dolby surround will not properly use positional data. Using surround with headphones that have 4 drivers per ear will also not use positional data correctly.

I'll add, only use surround with actual 5.1 speakers

RedJaron

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Um, complete non sequitur. He's asking if you've had any experience with virtual surround. Your response suggests that you've noticed a difference when using it, but you don't want to admit it because you don't know how to explain it. If you'd tried it and didn't notice any difference, why not just say that?

Would you care to actually explain what you're trying to say with this? It makes no kind of sense.

That's like saying one electrical current is the same as another simply because they're both flows of electrons. It says nothing about all the other measurements of them ( voltage and current for electricity, amplitude, intensity, frequency, and offset for sound waves ), therefore is a pointless statement.

Actually, no. Stereophonic simply means replicating sound by dividing the microphones ( when capturing it ) and using two speaker channels. Regardless of how many inputs are going to the speakers, if you only have two drivers it's still stereophonic.

Completely false. The human brain interprets audio direction in large part due to delay in hearing a sound between right and left ears. Virtual surround software analyzes the audio streams and then does its best to properly emulate this property as well as other effects to trick your ears and brain into thinking a sound originated in a direction it actually didn't. Now, if the original source audio is only two channels, trying to mimic direction can be very hit and miss since you're trying to create a soundstage from data that doesn't exists.

However, many games these days ( pretty much all of them that would actually benefit from surround ) are actually rendering audio with directional data, so the necessary information to emulate surround sound with only two speakers is already there. It's simply up the hardware or software to do it correctly.

Of course, where has anyone said otherwise? The speaker placement is what virtual systems try to replicate with the delay and volume offsets.

Not necessarily. if the individual drivers are specifically designed for a particular sound range and shape, the sound quality can be quite good. How many premium home theater speakers have only a single driver on them? Next to none. They have combination of tweeters, horns, and woofers to have a wider sound range.

Again, it can, but it's not a given. It's just as likely that the engineers specify the exact distance and alignment of all the drivers and timing in the controller to produce the best sound possible for the setup.

Which minimum distance is also typically much smaller than the average TV room, so it's rarely an issue anyone encounters. But even without ideal speaker placement, you can get good sound by properly measuring your cables and setting your receiver timing accordingly. The reverse is not true, as ideal speaker placement cannot overcome improper software configuration.

In short, you're making blanket statements all over the place which don't hold true for every product. Please stop acting as such.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013

I'm not entirely sure if you've missed my comments, I haven't seen feedback in return so I'll make the suggestion just one more time if you have maybe missed it: The HyperX Cloud 1 and HyperX Cloud 2 are far better sound quality wise than any other HyperX headset models. If you're getting the Revolver, do know that you'll miss out on audio quality in comparison and quite a bit at that. Best value is the HyperX Cloud 1.

You can't use either wirelessly AFAIK, and you cannot remove the jack either.

Solution