I’ve been using the PlayStation Portal for a month — here’s my verdict

Dec 16, 2023
I share this extremely positive view of the portal, but I've got to disagree about it not being a portable device. I've been playing all week in New York while my ps5 sits idle in Chicago. Yes I'm on a strong other-persons-home network... but I've had no problem. And also had similar success at a third location. My verdict is that the portal actually works fantastically away from the home, as long as the wifi is solid!

Dec 16, 2023
As said, marketing is poor and for good reason. There just isn't many things innovative of this device.

I found this article through Google but here sums up everything most are saying, putting as many perspectives here with the criticism:

I can't share a lot of the sentiment of the article. But that's because I could buy a clamp for my phone that's compatible with my dualsense or buy one of those switch-like controllers and that wouldve been more portable than that portal since it's not like you can do phone calls or communicate with others properly with this like you can with a phone.

Really the only reason why someone would even reasonably get this today is for the feel of a dualsense controller being split in half in a switch-like configuration with the haptics and all without the bloatware of a regular device, that's it. If only these were made-to-order for the intended audience instead of being scalped and possible e-waste.

A number of critics and I would have a different opinion if Sony opened this up to allow us to Android apps on this since at the end of the day, this is an Android device but locked down and with the libraries to only do remote play.

It would be worth the price tag if:
  • The bootloader was unlocked, allowing us to install any OS
  • Android APKs are installable, allowing for us to use things like GeForce now and by extension use game pass, some of our steam library, + even the Google Play Store!!!
  • They used the 'PlayStation Link' that they introduced alongside this, which would've given this low latency audio, looking online there isn't much info on this. This should've been explored more and marketed.
If the above is true, even if it's community done, It would be worth it as a fancy-feeling emulation handheld on top of a streaming handheld.

To water down basically everything I said, the build quality and even internals of the device are good, even with the price tag. The software sucks vs the competition making it not worth it.

Dec 25, 2023
Ummm...your internet speed literally HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE, GAMEPLAY.... before you write a review, please make sure you know what you are talking about man. Holy crud this is horrible.

The playstation portal only plays games you already own and have installed on your ps5. And you can't use it outside your own network. It doesn't play cloud games from the Sony cloud service (which is utterly a mess)

It simply does exactly what the ps remote play app does that is already available for all smart phones and pc's...

The only thing that matters is how fast your router speed is. NOT YOUR INTERNET!

Heck you don't even need your router to be connected to the internet.

For best performance simply get a router with decent wifi 5 capabilities and have a little devices as possible connected to it and hardwire your ps5 into your router for less lag and interference.

Man your need to get a new job. This is hilarious