I am seriously lost... Virus! Windows Media Center always opening

Bludmon88

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
HI guys I have no idea what to do. Everytime I click a program on this computer it always opens up windows media center. I so far have tried booting into safe mode and system restore..... windows media center. Repair system disc.... windows media center. That is what I have tried so far. My grandpa bought a couple of those search and find games from Walmart and does not have internet. It doesn't make sense how he can contract a virus from anything he has done so far. Do not get your grandpa a new computer and not teach him how to use it. Thanks guys!!

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
1. Download Emsisoft emergency kit, on your computer or a computer with an internet connection, run the installer which will create a folder on your c: drive called "EEK" abbreviation of its name, now update it. Copy the folder to your flash drive, then plug the flash on your grandpa's pc and copy the folder to his C: drive.

The reason for is that is program is antimwalre, virus etc remover, which also uses bitdefender signatures to find and remove connections, since its an emergency kit it is designed to updated on pc with internet connections and then moved other computers with no internet which are infected.

Open the folder and you will the exe that will open and run the program, scan and quarantine all infections, ensure you scan for an PUPs which are adware infections that can cause windows to do weird things that it was not commanded to.

After removing all infections, run command prompt with administrator rights and type "sfc /scannow", without quotations this will checks windows files and repair any problems found. Reboot after completion, then rescan and see if sfc has fixed issues or if they persist.

If they persists, then again in command prompt type "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" 0r "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth"

If any issues are pop up then type "Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows" to repair.