I am stuck between these two laptops!

yungg

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Solution
It's very close. The AMD A8 is slightly more powerful, but the R5 graphics are slightly worse than Intel HD 4000 (it is better than 4200, which is confusing I know, but that's because 4200 is a ULV graphics solution where 4000 is higher powered). The A8 also has a significant advantage in having a large amount of L2 cache, which is faster than Intel's large L3.

Neither will perform well for games unless they are older and less demanding. The extra 4GB of RAM on the HP is helpful, especially if you will be doing a lot of multitasking. I would go for the AMD system on specs alone, though I'm not partial to HP myself.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
It's very close. The AMD A8 is slightly more powerful, but the R5 graphics are slightly worse than Intel HD 4000 (it is better than 4200, which is confusing I know, but that's because 4200 is a ULV graphics solution where 4000 is higher powered). The A8 also has a significant advantage in having a large amount of L2 cache, which is faster than Intel's large L3.

Neither will perform well for games unless they are older and less demanding. The extra 4GB of RAM on the HP is helpful, especially if you will be doing a lot of multitasking. I would go for the AMD system on specs alone, though I'm not partial to HP myself.

Solution

yungg

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for the reply! And yes, I will actually mainly be using it for programming and excel and some softcore gaming like LoL/DotA/CSGO, will it run at high fps with these titles? A few more questions! Will the performance increase if I add in another ram? Bcos the HP is currently using 1 x 8GB. Many thanks!

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
8GB of RAM is more than enough for most applications, unless you're doing any sort of high-detail modelling or editing using expensive software, it'll be hard to use all of it. If you find yourself using all of the RAM you can probably upgrade if there's a spare slot and the motherboard allows it (most allow at least up to 16GB now), but I use 6 and multitask quite well on my own laptop.

LoL will run at high fps no problem at that resolution, it's not a very demanding game at all. By DotA you mean the first one? It'll run fine. DotA 2 you might have problems with at high settings but I can't be sure. CSGO should be fine as well, but it will perform slightly worse than the first two at high settings. All of those games will be playable at the very least.

TRENDING THREADS