I bought a new hard drive for my Dell Latitude E6430 14" Notebook PC how do I set it up?

powersupplywoes

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
It's saying not bootable. I assume I need to get an operating system on it somehow, but it had a burned image on the old hard drive. It did not come with a Windows disk, just the activation code-number on a sticker on the back.

I've heard there is usually an imaged operating system image on hard drives you just have to know how to access it. Must I get a DVD of it? How big of a memory stick would I need to get one from my desktop to the laptop if that's what I need to do? Thanks in advance!

Solution

2 ways forward with this.

1. It came with Win 10? Can you put the old drive back in so that it boots up?
It should have included a Factory Recovery partition. Look in your user manual for how to invoke this.
It will let you create a USB or set of DVD's to bring it back to out of the box condition.
Swap the drive, boot from this USB you just created, and do what it says.

or

2. Create your own Win 10 install USB. You'll need a blank 8GB USB stick. And a different PC to do it from.
Create your own Win 10 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then proceed with a clean Win 10 install on that new drive.
How...

USAFRet

Illustrious

2 ways forward with this.

1. It came with Win 10? Can you put the old drive back in so that it boots up?
It should have included a Factory Recovery partition. Look in your user manual for how to invoke this.
It will let you create a USB or set of DVD's to bring it back to out of the box condition.
Swap the drive, boot from this USB you just created, and do what it says.

or

2. Create your own Win 10 install USB. You'll need a blank 8GB USB stick. And a different PC to do it from.
Create your own Win 10 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then proceed with a clean Win 10 install on that new drive.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Why the drive swap? What was wrong with the old one?

Solution

powersupplywoes

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi I finally got an 8GB USB stick and did this, now it's not detecting the hard drive. I think I need drivers for Dell C7F2G MQ01ACF050 2.5" SATA Thin 500GB 7200 Toshiba Laptop Hard Drive Latitude E6430 "drivers" where would I get them and will there be enough room on the USB stick?

USAFRet

Illustrious

"did this"
Did what, exactly?

Installed the OS on this drive?
Or are you in the process of installing it?

It should not need any drivers.

powersupplywoes

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

I started to install off the USB stick and it doesn't detect the hard drive?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Possibilities:

1. Your new drive is broken
2. It is not correctly connected
3. The original problem was not the original drive, but a broken motherboard or other major issue.

powersupplywoes

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

The drive was brand new so I doubt it's number one. I have slid it into the slot and put in the two screws. How can I tell if it's not the hard drive?

USAFRet

Illustrious

What led you to replacing the drive?

powersupplywoes

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I had to reinstall the hard drive physically it seemed connected but when I examined the pins I realized I had installed it upside down! Thank you! It is now loading Windows 10!! Thank you for all your awesome help from start to finish!