Hello all - I've got a virus through a dodgy attachment I was sent...it's on my Xperia Z5 and neither antivirus, antimalware or even a hard reset can shift it. I tried the repair option when connected to the Sony PC software, but that didn't help. I think the virus may be embedded in the firmware. A) Will I be forced to root my phone and B) will this get rid of it?
Or could it be a sensor problem? The screen was replaced about 6 weeks ago...
It is very unlikely that a good "Hard Reset" or deep scan for viruses and malware wouldn't remove it. At least as long as you chose the actual "Hard Reset", which wipes everything. If, however, you tried to keep anything that is on the device in the reset, then it wouldn't have resolved it.
I am including the correct steps for the "Hard Reset", just in case, below. Should that not work, or if it is what you did already try, then I would take the phone to the people who replaced the display and get them to check it for issues with the sensor, or even the display having a flaw.
NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.
Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.
To "Hard Reset" the phone...
1. Make sure that the phone is actually powered off.
2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.
3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.
4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".
5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option.
6. When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.
7. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.
8. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.
9. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the phone.
10. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.