I contacted Sprint and got the unlock code for my phones. I didn't realize it was that easy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wickster14

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
it did not work for me. sprint is not unlocking for domestic use the iphone4s and 5. the msl code is worthless for an iPhone.

Pujiti

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
The locking is fully controlled by Apple. Government should regulate Apple to not lock the phones or customize the phones software for any carrier. If a carrier subsidize a phone as part of a contract that phone should be blacklisted so it cannot be sold. This unlocking nonsense just create a huge black market where people that buy those phones are the victims. Shame to those companies.

Enigma516

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015

Locking is not controlled by Apple. The carrier specifically asks for the phone to be programmed to them so that they can control the customers account and make sure they do not leave after getting a discount on the phone when they purchase it. That's why you need to contact the carrier to unlock the phone. Once you've met the carriers qualifications for unlocking the phone, you contact them, they put in the request for the unlock and you connect your phone to your computer and restore the phone through iTunes. Then you will get a message saying the phone has been unlocked.

Taylor_4

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
People, there is a dirt simple solution to unlocking your phone. To unlock your Sprint phone for International use, meaning a foreign carriers sim card. Do the following: call Sprint tell them you want to unlock your phone for travel. They send the signal which is installed on your phone by doing the following. 1. backup your phone (for iphone) in iTunes. 2. Do a factory restore. 3. Restore your backup to get all your stuff back. That's it. By the way who needs to use a foreign carriers sim??? Sprint now has agreements with other carriers so when I'm in Mexico for a month I get unlimited data for FREE!!! My wife's phone is on the other available program where she gets unlimited text and talk for free. So screw spending money and hassle with foreign carrier's sim cards. Hope this helps.
To unlock your phone for domestic called DSU, do the following: call Sprint they send the signal, that's it your done! Be aware that they will only unlock domestic when your phone has satisfied the agreement. Today I unlocked my 2 year old phone but was unable to unlock my 1 year old phone.

Taylor_4

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
Follow up if you want to use your phone (in my case Sprint) with another domestic carrier besides the steps I have already outlined. Be aware that Sprint is CDMA this is firmware folks. As opposed to a carrier like ATT their network is GSM. Even when unlocked you can't go from one to the other. Hope this helps.

ericlindsey407

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
SPRINT has to be the WORST company ever.
We are a pro phone shop that got stuck with 20 iPhone 4s previously on Sprint. All the phones are paid for and out of contract. PAID FOR AND OUT OF CONTRACT,
Sprint is losing customer's right and left and will do everything they can legal and illegal to trap you and prevent you from leaving their awful company.
We contacted Sprint , the second you mention unlocking they bounce you from operator to operator and put you on hold, finally a Sprint minion reads from their Cheating/LYING Script.
"We don't have the technical ability to unlock the phone".
Then you get bumped up to level 2 BS where the same is said in a different way by a different person.
If you hang in there and wear them down after an hour another guy comes on and gives you a 6 digit unlock code which is just a way to get you off the phone and to stop wasting their resources.
THE CODE IS USELESS and so is SPRINT.
I can't believe our government lets them get away with this.
SPRINT and there illegal and immoral policies have cost us thousands of dollars.

HERE IS THE BEST PART and really shows how EVIL this joke of a company named SPRINT is!
You can't even take an out of contract Sprint iphone 4s
to a Sprint prepaid service! Their own SPRINT phone isn't even eligible! ON SPRINT! They don't have the ability to make it work, the SPRINT rep actually said that.

Thanks SPRINT for showing me and the rest of the world what you really think of your customer's.

It will be a long road ahead with lots of potholes for your company and I plan to dig everyone of them.

Alverto7

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015
I have a unlock code for my LG G4 but don't know what to do with it....I've read numerous post people ask how to use this code and never get a clear answer....I ask again if you have the unlock code for your phone how do use it?? Because I've tried to put a SIM card on it and I get nothing. Thank you any help will do.

ericlindsey407

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
YOUR UNLOCK CODE FROM SPRINT IS WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!
See my above post.

I finally got the 6 digit code after hours on the phone, most of the time they just hang up or put you on hold
until you give up. The code is just a way of getting you off the phone and to stop bothering them.

SPRINT the worlds worst company!!!!!!!

gph

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
The fact is that Sprint won't unlock my iPhone 6 Plus purchased Jan 2015 with full price. They don't say such. Instead, they just say "we have submitted a request for unlocking and please wait 72 hours". And 72 hours passed and it's still locked. Then you are told to wait another 72 hours. And of course they will occasionally give you that useless "000000" MSL number.

There's no escalation mechanism when an issue wasn't resolved after many attempts and many hours has been wasted. The customer service representatives have no clues about my unlock request and seem to just want to dismiss the call as fast as possible.

Shame for such disgusting behavior from Sprint. I am glad it's dropping down to 4th carrier and hope it will go to oblivion very soon.

I will never, ever try Sprint again. And will strongly advise every person against it. The LTE speed is 20 times slower than AT&T in my area (No exaggeration. AT&T is 24Mbps while Sprint is 1.2Mbps). And now this shameful iPhone unlock policy!

Glenna_1

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

You asked why the confusion. I called today and was given the six digit code. They told me they do not send a signal. I have to wait until the last day of my billing cycle a they will discontinue service. The next day I can take the phone and the unlock code to the carrier of my choice and that carrier will give me instructions on how to unlock the phone.

From what I have read this code is worthless. What do I have to do to get them to send a signal to my phone like they did yours.

Just call me confused!

BSRCellular

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
I was looking into this forum for other info and saw mass confusion so let me clear the air in here.

An msl code is NOT an unlock code. Unlock codes are 8 digits or more. Msl codes were used in flashing a phones software, which due to all newer devices taking sim cards, it is a worthless technology or thing to do, getting the user only 3g typically.

IPhones do NOT take an unlock code at all to unlock (almost all other makers do).

IPhone 5 can work here in the US if you unlock it (bought 3 from sprint on ebay and 1 was unlocked and worked fine with metropcs). Haven't tested the sprint lies on a 4s yet though.

Carriers are NOT the only ones unlocking phones. Both the carrier a d the maker can and if you pay hundreds to thousands of dollars like I have, you can buy a box that can do everything for you through software.

Right now iphone sprint unlocks are one of the lowest prices running, with a clean esn of course. This is not a plug for me to make money. Feel free to ask me more on all this.

Robertn84

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
I want to sell my Sprint iPhone 5 on eBay, and I want the potential buy to be able to activate it easily. I don't want them to have to unlock it through Sprint because then they will be unsatisfied, etc.

I just talked to the Master Technical Support at Sprint, and they gave me the MSL. She said that I have to take it to any cell phone repair store. I confirmed it with her - I said "I can take this to any run-of-the-mill repair shop and they will unlock it with the MSL?" She said yes. Was she wrong??

Can I enter it in somehow?

What do you mean iPhone sprint unlocks are one of the lowest prices running?

***Here's an update to this a few minutes later. I called Sprint Support back at 855-899-7924. I talked to someone in the Philippines. He said my phone cannot work with other carriers in the US, but it will work with Sprint the US. He said it will work with other carriers internationally. I pressed him to explain why this was, and he could not explain it.

Robertn84

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
It seems like you have to specifically request a "Domestic Sim Unlock", otherwise Sprint customer support will just give you the run around.

BSRCellular

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
The MSL code will ONLY work when flashing a phone to another carrier and is NOT needed for unlocking. MSL codes are also used to move a Sprint phone to another Sprint piggy back carrier and again is NOT at all anything needed for unlocking a device. Also, Sprint will tell people that the iPhone 5 and 4S will NOT work in the US once unlocked. Upon my own "in-my-hand" experience, I know an iPhone 5 that is unlocked from Sprint WILL work in the US.

Abraham_4

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

Its an universal code? or how that works?

Ajay_35

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Sprint said they unlocked my Phone. (I performed UICC unlock) and it performed successfully.

Now I am in US, when I am inserting international sim in it and dialing number, I am getting "Your account could not be validated, please contact customer care"

Is with "International valid sim" and "international unlocked spring phone" should we be able to make calls in USA?

Regards
Ajay

You'll need a valid, paid up account for whichever company gave you that SIM (e.g. Orange UK). They also need to have an agreement with a US provider to use their towers for roaming.

Note that you'll probably get charged stupidly high rates when roaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.