I contacted Sprint and got the unlock code for my phones. I didn't realize it was that easy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay_35

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Thank you for your reply...

I do have a valid sim and it is working in other Unlocked mobile, but not working with Sprint International unlocked Galaxy phone...

When I reached Sprint, they replied "Once you will be in overseas then only you will be able to make calls". But I am not convinced with their answer "They give bogus answers most of the time" . (Previously they replied that once you will be overseas, then only UICC unlock action can be performed on my mobile)

So I wanted to make sure from someone, who might have unlocked his sprint phone internationally, and then tried internal sim in US. so that he/she can confirm that whether international sim can work in Internationally unlocked mobile phone in USA.

Thank you.

portland99

Estimable
May 16, 2015
Sprint had better wake up! This could end up being another 50 million dollar lawsuit. These companies have already paid out millions because of underhanded slamming and overages and other dishonest behavior. I don't know why these phone companies feel that they need to force people to use their service. Verizon iphones are supplied to their customers fully unlocked. This is not due to their kindness but was the result of a settlement with the FCC. Maybe if everyone files an FCC complaint, Sprint will be forced to do the right thing.

Pujiti

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Again, Apple control the locking for iPhones. Those carriers just provide a list of phones to be unlocked / removed from Apple database. Why Apple is doing that, because they signed dirty contracts with those carriers in order to have their phones sold.
My iPhone 5s is new, never activated on Sprint network, but still not eligible for unlocking by Sprint and Apple. I do not have any contract with Sprint and the phone is clean.
Whenever I asked Sprint or Apple customer care why they cannot unlock it, they closed the phone or the live chat session. This is how they show their respect to those people that buy iPhones. Shame.

Peter_1990

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I had the same problem with sprint I have HTC m8 and they said my phone is too old to unlcol. I don't think this is legal. I believe this calls for a lawsuit against sprint. Anyone reading this ?

quotemsg=15040994,0,1874544]After reading existing posts I contacted Sprint and received the unlock code for my iPhone 5c's. I always thought there was more to unlocking a phone.[/quotemsg]

Iggidy

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
GUYS I FINALLY GOT THEM TO UNLOCK MY IPHONE 6!! HOPE THIS HELPS, JUST CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE AT SPRINT AND CAUSE A RUCKUS! I TOLD THEM I CONTACTED THE FCC AND ATTORNEYS GENERAL AND MY LAWYER ALL HAVE THE CASE ON STANDBY IF THEY DIDNT AUTOMATICALLY UNLOCK IT...I PAID EVERYTHING OFF AND THEY FED ME A RUN AROUND SAYING 3 DAYS IT WILL UNLOCK AFTER READING POSTS AND REALIZING THEY WERE BREAKING THE LAW, I PRESSED THEM AND TOLD THEM I WAS SUEING AND ALREADY HAD A PENDING CASE, THEY PUT ME ON HOLD PRESSED SOME BUTTONS AND UNLOCKED IT. I INSERTED MY T-MOBILE SIM CARD AND WAS GOOD TO GO. SPRINT GETS SALTY AND SENDS YOU THROUGH LOOPS WHEN LEAVING NEVER WILL I EVER GO BACK WITH THEM! JUST CALL AND CAUSE A RUCKUS AND THREATHEN THEM WITH A LAWSUIT AND THEY WILL GIVE IN!

rsmith1545

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

rsmith1545

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Iggidy,

What service did you go to from Sprint? I am trying to go to AT&T from Sprint on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and running into the same situation. AT&T does not know what to do with the MSL code. Your post means that Sprint is not simply unlocking it fully?

Thanks Russ

701_chaka

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 701_chaka : "I have a locked iPhone 6s with sprint can i connect it with another company?"

Locked iPhone 6s with sprint

Renee9066

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Renee9066

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
How long was your account inactive with Sprint? They told me because mine was over the 45 day mark, they couldn't do anything... Was your the same case? I just need to be able to use it in Europe and need it right when I get off my flight... Thanks!

buzz2016

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from buzz2016 : "I have a sprint phone i'd like to change to prepaid"

I would like to unlock my sprint phone to prepaid..

Brendan_17

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I got a galaxy S5 for sprint and I have the unlock code. What do i have to do in order to type it in and use my sim?

Christineb_35

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
SPRINT MAY "UNLOCK" UR PHONE, BUT IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BECAUSE THEIR PHONES WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER NETWORK, EVER VERIZON, WHO ALSO USES CDMA NETWORK. SPRINT PURPOSELY MAKES THEIR PHONE INCOMPATIBLE WITH ANYONE ELSE SO YOU ARE BASICALLY STUCK WITH THEM IF YOU DONT WANT TO WASTE THE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS YOU'VE SPENT ON YOUR PHONE. IVE BEEN DEALING THIS THIS PROBLEM WITH MY SPRINT SAMUNG NOTE 5. WHATS EVEN WORSE IS THE ONLY PREPAID COMPANIES THAT THEIR PHONES WO U LD WORK FOR WOULD BE BOOST AND VIRGIM MOBILE, BUT THE REFUSE TO LET YOU TRANSFER YOUR PHONE TO EOTHER COMPANY, ONLY VERY OLD PHONES CAN BE BROUGHT TO THEM. ITS RIDICULOUS.

Joe_174

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
The MSL, or Master Subsidy Lock code, will not unlock the phone to work on a different carrier. It is used to access some of the deeper functions of the phone while on a CDMA network, but it does not unlock the device. Phones on a GSM network do not use an MSL. Example: my Galaxy S7 Edge was on Sprint. I got the MSL so I could access some of the hidden settings menu. Eventually, I had the phone unlocked and switched to Cricket (NOT by using the MSL. That won't unlock the phone).

Phones on a CDMA network (Verizon, Sprint, and their MVNO's) are identified by the device itself. That's why you have to "activate" a phone with Sprint or Verizon. GSM network devices are only identified by the SIM card. That's why you can pop a SIM out of an ATT or T-Mobile phone, stick into another unlocked phone, and go.

iPhone carrier locking does go through Apple's servers. If your iPhone is eligible to be unlocked by your carrier, they will need to communicate the unlock request to Apple. In most cases, your phone will need to be paid off of any lease or payment plan in full, your account will need to be in good standing, and you'll have to have been active on your service for a certain number of days.

Some phones CAN'T be unlocked by the carrier. If it was manufactured before a certain date in 2015, manufacturers weren't required to build the phone to be "unlockable." I have an HTC One M8 from Sprint that I'll never be able to use anywhere else, since it was made before that date. My wife has an iPhone 6s from Sprint, that we are in the process of unlocking. Apple does not make "special" iPhones for Sprint. There are only two versions of the iPhone 6s sold in the USA...one of them is exclusive to ATT and can operate on a special LTE band that only ATT uses. Either model, though, can be unlocked, and is capable of operating on either a CDMA or GSM network.

You can try a third party company to unlock your phone. I don't feel like dealing with Sprint customer service, so I'm trying a service called Unlockbase. We'll see how that goes...

Stephanie_43

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Joe_174

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

There are different models of the iPhone 5. The Sprint version will not fully work on other carriers (see here, scroll to the bottom and read "network compatibility": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_5 ). It could potentially be unlocked, but LTE will not work on anything else (except maybe Verizon). That's why Sprint's unlock policy for this phone is "international only."

It's not a software issue. The Sprint iPhone 5 doesn't have the radios for LTE to work on other networks (except maybe Verizon). It has GSM radios so it can roam on other networks if your carrier allows it, but forget LTE.

Yes, a law was passed in 2015 requiring carriers to unlock phones that have been paid off, or are otherwise not under contract. The problem with the iPhone 5 is that it was manufactured in 2012...WELL before this law existed. Carriers could have phones manufactured to work fully only on their network. Again, this is not a software issue...it boils down to the components of the phone itself. I have an HTC One M8 that I bought from Sprint. I can't unlock it to FULLY work on other networks for the same reason...it was manufactured to pretty much only work on Sprint. It doesn't have the necessary hardware to work on other networks. It was built in 2014. So, even if you unlock the iPhone 5, it's not going to fully function on every network.

Also...there's no such thing as an "unlock code" that will domestic SIM unlock an iPhone. Your carrier, or a third party service like Unlockbase, removes your phone from a "list" of carrier locked phones. After it's unlocked, you usually have to plug the phone into iTunes and refresh it for the unlock to work. I'm not sure how international SIM unlocking works, though. You might be given an "unlock code," which is probably just the MSL code to enable GSM roaming or something.

Don't bother with Sprint's regular customer service or chat for this stuff. They don't know what the #$@! they're talking about. Dial 888-211-4727 and keep hitting option 5 until you get a human. It's a different department trained to handle this stuff...you'll be talking to someone who can give you a straight answer.

Good luck. Moral of the story...stop buying phones from carriers. Buy your phones factory unlocked, then take them to the carrier of your choice. I've certainly learned my lesson.

krazybirde

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

I agree with what your saying in you last line Joe_174, but newer phones, specifically CDMA iphones have the GSM bands to work fully on Tmobile or ATT. They have also CDMA bands to work with Verizon. So sprint not unlocking for domestic use is sprints own choice.
A user earlier even said that he bought phones from apple and they were still locked to sprint.
I am hoping to switch from sprint soon. What I have been reading on these forums is very informative. Sprints data service sucks anyway.

imran_31

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

Newsanyi15

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Hello everybody . I bought a galaxy s5 on ebay and i want to use it in europe but it's locked to Sprint . What do you think if i'll write them why i want to unlock will they unlock it for me , or what should i write to them .I think my english is not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.