Solved! I formatted my sd card, how do I move pictures to it

Jun 20, 2019
I formatted my sd card as internal storage on my moto g5 and moved apps to it but I can't move any media
Can I not move both? Is it either I format the sd card as portable and only move media to it or I format as internal and only move apps to it

Solution
Well the phone won't see it as a separate SD card now. To that is likely why the phone's file manager doesn't see it that way.

You could try either a different file managing app, or connect it to a computer via USB cord and move files that way. Either of these should work, unless the manufacturer or carrier/service provider made alterations to the way the device allows things. That would be the only way it could not allow moving of files. Unless, of course, there is no available space on the card now. Which can easily happen when you move apps.
Well the phone won't see it as a separate SD card now. To that is likely why the phone's file manager doesn't see it that way.

You could try either a different file managing app, or connect it to a computer via USB cord and move files that way. Either of these should work, unless the manufacturer or carrier/service provider made alterations to the way the device allows things. That would be the only way it could not allow moving of files. Unless, of course, there is no available space on the card now. Which can easily happen when you move apps.

Reactions: Norlando
Solution
Jun 20, 2019

If the manufacturer made alterations would that only prevent me from moving files or also from seeing the sd card? Because I just tried connecting my phone to pc and it only shows the internal storage..
Maybe there's something wrong with my device because when i tapped "migrate data" to sd card in settings it seemed to have moved the data to the sd card but it still showed that my internal had that data (so both sd card and internal had the 4gb that were supposed to move if that makes sense 😅) So i deleterd everything, formatted sd card as portable and factory reseted my phone and moved the apps I could manually to the sdcard

Last edited:
But you have to remember that the SD card is now considered "Internal" storage.

So anything you move, is still going to show as "Internal" and not the original "External". I think that is something that confuses a lot of people. It just isn't seen the same anymore.

Jun 20, 2019
But you have to remember that the SD card is now considered "Internal" storage.

So anything you move, is still going to show as "Internal" and not the original "External". I think that is something that confuses a lot of people. It just isn't seen the same anymore.

Ah, right Sorry I don't know much about phones..
Do you suggest I just leave it the way it is because I don't know how to move media to it if it only shows internal everywhere? Then I have an sd card for nothing..It used to be so much simpler :/
Still thank you for helping! :)

Well, when you make the card "Internal" storage, so you can run apps on it, as most won't run on it as "External" storage, then moving the files is really of no use. Both are being used as "Internal" storage.

Now if you aren't going to want the space to run apps from the card, then I would suggest leaving the SD card as "External" storage. Then you can put anything on it, other than the apps.

There are also benefits to both. In the case of making it "Internal" that makes the card encoded so no other device can access it/read it. However, there is then a drawback to that. If the dies then you lose all that is on that card. Additionally if you reset the phone, then you would also loose access to the card.

Leaving it as "External" would prevent this, but then the card could be read by any device.

So you just have to decide what you want.

Reactions: Norlando
Jun 20, 2019
Well, when you make the card "Internal" storage, so you can run apps on it, as most won't run on it as "External" storage, then moving the files is really of no use. Both are being used as "Internal" storage.

Now if you aren't going to want the space to run apps from the card, then I would suggest leaving the SD card as "External" storage. Then you can put anything on it, other than the apps.

There are also benefits to both. In the case of making it "Internal" that makes the card encoded so no other device can access it/read it. However, there is then a drawback to that. If the dies then you lose all that is on that card. Additionally if you reset the phone, then you would also loose access to the card.

Leaving it as "External" would prevent this, but then the card could be read by any device.

So you just have to decide what you want.
Hmm i got it Thank you for taking the time to help and explain it! :D