I get the following error message when I try and start up my Toshiba Portage R705- P25 laptop: "PXE E 61 Media test failure,

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I get the following error message when I try and start up my Toshiba Portage R705- P25 laptop: "PXE E 61 Media test failure.
PXE M0F Exiting Intel boot agent. Insert system disk and press any key.

If I insert my Windows 7 disk, I get the following message: "Intel boot agent GE V1.3.52"

Is this a hard drive failure? I've actually gotten it to boot up once or twice, but not lately

Could I just replace my spin drive in this machine with an SSD? I don't use this laptop very much. I don't need much storage on this laptop. SSD's are getting cheaper

Thanks all.

Betageek65

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
That error is quite common when the BIOS setting for network booting is enabled. Simply go into the BIOS and disable it, but you may need to check with the website to find how to do this correctly for your model laptop.

ss202sl

Honorable
While you can get the error by setting the boot order, the issue only recently showed up, and he sometimes CAN boot to the HDD normally. This means that his boot priority is correctly set to HDD before PXE. Removing the PXE from the list just means that the error won't show up, but if the HDD still isn't accessible, it still won't boot.

Betageek65

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

No kidding.

Betageek65

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Do you not read this stuff, or simply wear blinders when you do read it?
"I get the following error message when I try and start up my Toshiba Portage R705- P25 laptop: "PXE E 61 Media test failure.
PXE M0F Exiting Intel boot agent. Insert system disk and press any key. "
Because he mentioned it.

ss202sl

Honorable
Did you stop reading after the first sentence??? He then went on to say "I've actually gotten it to boot up once or twice, but not lately" Which means the boot priority is not the issue, but accessing the HDD seems to be failing

Betageek65

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Whatever, okay, you're right. Did that make the hurt go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.