I got ratted

ziggy8686

Prominent
May 12, 2017
my friend told me to install a program on to my PC and me being dumb listened.The progam was a rat (remote access Trojan) my friend told me that he removed my PC user from his rat program but I don't know if he can get back onto my account. He said the rat he put on my PC was crypted. I found out that resetting/deleting all data off of my drives besides windows will get rid of the rat. But now my friend said the rat he put on my PC seeps into the mother board and I don't know if that's true. He also told me to get rid of the rat I have to reinstall the rat so he can uninstall it and I don't know if that's true. I don't know how to get rid of it or if it's gone please help

Solution
First - "unfriend" him.

Second - update your AV and malware software.

Third - disconnect from the internet or any common network with your former friend.

Fourth - Run AV and malware software to find and remove the trojans. There may be other things ( e.g., key loggers, spyware) as well so be thorough.

Fifth - change all your user names and passwords.

Sixth - tell other real friends what your ex-friend did.

Seventh - be ready to forgive and forget when appropriate. You will both learn something.

First - "unfriend" him.

Second - update your AV and malware software.

Third - disconnect from the internet or any common network with your former friend.

Fourth - Run AV and malware software to find and remove the trojans. There may be other things ( e.g., key loggers, spyware) as well so be thorough.

Fifth - change all your user names and passwords.

Sixth - tell other real friends what your ex-friend did.

Seventh - be ready to forgive and forget when appropriate. You will both learn something.

Solution

ziggy8686

Prominent
May 12, 2017