I have a 16gb card the phone say no more memory on it help the sims card is 8 or 10 gb what can doI have moved things and dele

kathleenchapman9

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
I have an android phone I think the sims card is 8 or 10 gb. I placed a 16gb card in it but it says memory is full, 1 card tells me that I still have 12gb left. I have moved and deleted still know change. Can you help

Solution
I am assuming you mean SD card, rather than SIM. SD cards hold data. SIM cards are gotten from the carrier/service provider so you can have service. :)

You are getting this message because you aren't able to download directly to the card. If you are downloading just general files (photos, music, etc., not apps) then you need to go into the settings of the app you are downloading through and change it to save the downloads to the card.

Now if you are trying to download apps to the card, that is completely different. Some phones can, some can't. The instructions below are how to do it.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the...
I am assuming you mean SD card, rather than SIM. SD cards hold data. SIM cards are gotten from the carrier/service provider so you can have service. :)

You are getting this message because you aren't able to download directly to the card. If you are downloading just general files (photos, music, etc., not apps) then you need to go into the settings of the app you are downloading through and change it to save the downloads to the card.

Now if you are trying to download apps to the card, that is completely different. Some phones can, some can't. The instructions below are how to do it.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
Storage on the SD card is not the same as storage on the phone itself. They are set as two different things. So if you are going by the amount available on the SD card, and thinking that is why you can't download, that would be incorrect. Unless you have done the changes in the information I listed above. Otherwise the files/apps won't be on the card.

kathleenchapman9

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017

You need to look at the available storage as two separate things. One for the phone's "Internal" storage and one for the "External" storage, a.k.a. the SD card. The phone should list them that way, as two separate things/amounts, when you look at storage in settings.

If you are trying to download to the phone itself (not the card) and it is telling you there isn't room, I would guess that the phone's storage is close to full. Where as the SD card may be closer to empty.

To be able to download to the card, rather than the phone, you would need to make some changes. If you are just downloading videos, music, photos, etc., (not apps) just change the settings in the app you are doing the downloads through. Say the browser. To save to the card.

Now if you are trying to download apps and want them to save to the card, then you need to follow the instructions I sent before to make the necessary changes for that to work. If, that is, your device will allow for it. If it doesn't, as the instructions say, then the manufacturer restricted that option.