I have a 2015 Sony Bravia 65x850c. I want to occasionally connect my HP Envy Touch laptop to my tv. The only available spot is

Solution

Sure you just wont be using the ARC ( Audio Return ) data channel which has to be enabled specifically in the TV anyway the cable,pin-out & other HDMI data is all the same.

Inexpensive 3 to 1 HDMI switches can be had for ~ $10.00 if you run out of HDMI inputs .
Hi,

I checked the specification of both the laptop and the Sony TV and they both had HDMI ports so you can use it. Once the TV is connected to the laptop, press the Windows key + P at the same time and select between Extended or Duplicate display then press Enter. Make also sure that the TV is set to HDMI so it would detect the display from the laptop.

xray686166233

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
You can use DVI-D to HDMI cable or DVI-D to HDMI adapter + HDMI cable but that will need a separate audio path. Display Port to HDMI is another option .

You can use HDMI (both ends) cable from PC to TV to get sound & picture if your PC has that

Both connections usually result in equal video quality the video data is the same and both pass HDCP 2.0 DRM .

Video levels in your PC > should be set at YCbCr 4:2:0 for PC content,Windows ,The Web & TV /DVD or 1080p Blue Ray it's all 4:2:0 . > Importantly setting this correctly ensures correct black level indexing and white clipping and minimizes excessive pixel manipulation .

Some advanced video formats & DV/HDR 10 4K Blue Ray advanced PC gaming and advanced video photo editing & console slave gaming can go up to YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB Full but you wont see advanced 4K HDR Blue Ray on a PC anyway the MPAA DRM has all that locked out of PC's anyway .

Some important 2015-2016 Sony XBR TV settings similar for any fixed panel TV and HDR TV
I have an Somy XBR X850C also ☺

TV settings > or remote Wide Mode Full is the real normal ( NO ZOOM or Cropping ) at 16x9 on any Sony TV .

TV settings > Picture and Display >Display Area on a 2015 -2016 Sony XBR TV with the HDMI inputs ( read all ) with few exceptions or defaults should be Full Pixel for 1:1 pixel mapping and that's what you want unless you want your 4K (2160p) or 1080p fixed panel TV resolution cut way down
You may have to scale to edge of screen also with your PC . 2nd screen (TV) should usually be an extended screen desktop

TV settings > Picture and Display > Dynamic range or ( HDMI Bandwidth ) should be set at Limited on all the 4:2:0 content and PC uses listed above outside of advanced video formats mentioned above which may be set to FULL but on a PC or slave game console Auto has it all covered anyway . .

The Sony 4K X850C XBR has a 10 BIT wide color gamut ( Triluminous) VA panel and the TV supports 10 it P3 DCI cinematic color like you see in a movie theater and 4K HDR 10 content and bt2020 color . ofc it can't get to the edge of Bt 2020 but neither can anything else you can buy . it also supports up to HDMI 2.0a for advanced video formats and HDR content & HDMI up to 2160p/60 4:4:4 and IIRC maybe HDCP 2.2 DRM and it has 802.11ac WiFi and it supports HDR 10 .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14332. rs1 Windows Insider since 01/2015

Patches2

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Patches2

Commendable
May 1, 2016

xray686166233

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Sure you just wont be using the ARC ( Audio Return ) data channel which has to be enabled specifically in the TV anyway the cable,pin-out & other HDMI data is all the same.

Inexpensive 3 to 1 HDMI switches can be had for ~ $10.00 if you run out of HDMI inputs .

Solution