I have a 5.1 setup but movies/games/windows only plays 2.1

ArcaneAlterEgo

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
il try to give a detailed description.

So i have windows 8.1 enterprise 64bit and this is my motherboard https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z68AG45_B3.html#hero-specification

according to the website of MSI i support 8 audio channel. My setup is a pioneer reciever VSX-409RDS from 1999 and a home cinema 5.1 set from harman/kardon hkts 9.

the 3.5 jack is in the green connector on the back of my motherboard then directly into the pioneer reciever (red+white).

My windows 8,1 doesn't plays the middle speaker or the ones in the back when i try to test it with sound -> configuration 5.1 setup. I tried realtek HD and audio fill didn't work either. It doesn't work for games or movies either i cant even hear the sound.

The funny thing is when i play youtube or a song i can hear the text from the middle speaker and the ones in the back but really low and infront pretty high. Oh btw i made this work with the Dolby Pro Logic function on the reciever. If i disable the Dolby Pro Logic that stops working aswell and it becomes actual 2.1.

BTW go easy on me guys this is my 1st time to buy an actual home cinema set and the reciever is just for now i am gonna save up and buy a new one later on.

Hope you guys can help me figure this out.

Solution
going off an image i found of the 409rds

pioneerkino2.jpg

and page #9 of the manual http://www.manualslib.com/manual/130522/Pioneer-Vsx-409rds.html?page=9#manual

i think you can figure out where the ends need to go. on a computer the pc outputs front left and front right on one channel, center and subwoofer on another and rear left and rear right on the last. white is generally left and red is generally right on rca which can help in figuring out what is what.

you need three of these (3.5mm to rca adapter cables male to male)

08919-02-L.jpg

basically this is what is going on inside the cable...
The green wire going to the red and white is only stereo, 2 channels. You are not giving your home cinema or receiver any kind of surround signal, so it can't play what it doesn't have.

The dolby pro logic is working exactly how it's supposed. When you only give a stereo signal, it makes up the other channels from that to simulate surround sound.

What you need is 3 3.5mm to red+white RCA cables.

The first goes from the green on your motherboard to the Red and white under DVD/LD In (Front) on the receiver.
The second goes from black on your motherboard to the two black surround L + R on the receiver.
The third goes from yellow/orange on your motherboard to the center and sub woofer channel. I don't know if red with sub or white will be sub, but you can see and just swap them.

that is what you need to do though, you need to output 6 channels to the receiver so it can play 6, or 5.1

ArcaneAlterEgo

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016

Ah thank you alot i hope you dont mind if i ask a couple of questions how do these 3 cables look like (its my 1st time :p) and do they all have 3.5 jacks i could take picture if you dont mind to clarify it for me?

going off an image i found of the 409rds

pioneerkino2.jpg

and page #9 of the manual http://www.manualslib.com/manual/130522/Pioneer-Vsx-409rds.html?page=9#manual

i think you can figure out where the ends need to go. on a computer the pc outputs front left and front right on one channel, center and subwoofer on another and rear left and rear right on the last. white is generally left and red is generally right on rca which can help in figuring out what is what.

you need three of these (3.5mm to rca adapter cables male to male)

08919-02-L.jpg

basically this is what is going on inside the cable

857c0c0a_stereo-adapter-1-4-to-rca.png

which color jacks on pc do what

sound_sound_card.jpg

Solution

ArcaneAlterEgo

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016

New
I have 3 RCA cables.

I plugged the 4 black plugs (Red ones on the left and White ones on the right) R/L and Sub Woofer/Center into the motherboard (Orange/Grey(silver) plugs) and the last RCA cable into DVD/LD 5.1 (front) and into the green connector into the motherboard (front speakers) but the 5.1 still doesn't work on windows/pc i am wondering if i am doing something wrong, thank you guys for helping!