Solved! I have a Yamaha r-s500 reciever but no way to connect it to my tv which only has hdmi

Mar 8, 2020
I got the reciever from a friend and some jbl 5.1 speakers but theres no way to connect it to my tv through hdmi. I bought an hdmi to ac converter but that didnt work in any if the ports. Any help so I could connect the tv or even my phone because theres no aux cable

Solution
If you bought an HDMI-ARC audio extractor that should have a stereo output for the receiver. It has to be an ARC extractor not just an HDMI extractor.
You would plug the extractor into the single HDMI-ARC port.
https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Extractor-Converter-Soundbar-Amplifier/dp/B07CJ96MQV
You would also have to turn ARC on in the TV menu to get it working. You may need to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type in the TV menu as well.
Mar 8, 2020
I got the reciever from a friend and some jbl 5.1 speakers but theres no way to connect it to my tv through hdmi. I bought an hdmi to ac converter but that didnt work in any if the ports. Any help so I could connect the tv or even my phone because theres no aux cable

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
The receiver only has 2 channels, so surround is not possible. For the easiest, tried-and-true, cheapest route that works: You can use your TV as a video monitor only, connected to the video outs from your sources, which may be HDMI for best picture quality. The audio portion would be from the sources as well and analog only (RCA L+R). To connect your phone, get a stereo 3.5mm to L+R RCA male plugs and connect them to an available input. You only have two: CD and LINE. The PHONO input will be too sensitive.

Last edited:
If you bought an HDMI-ARC audio extractor that should have a stereo output for the receiver. It has to be an ARC extractor not just an HDMI extractor.
You would plug the extractor into the single HDMI-ARC port.
https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Extractor-Converter-Soundbar-Amplifier/dp/B07CJ96MQV
You would also have to turn ARC on in the TV menu to get it working. You may need to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type in the TV menu as well.

Solution