i have a samsung ln40a550 and it wont turn on.

dustinolson

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
i had my power go out for about 10 minutes while watching tv and when the power came back on my tv wouldnt turn back on. the red light for the optical audio cable in the back is blinking red but no other lights are on. also the surge protector was not tripped on the power strip.. please help.

i am pretty handy as far as repairs go so if it sounds like its a somewhat inexpensive part i dont have a problem fixing it. just have no idea where to look.

edit: yes i tried unplugging the tv. i left it unplugged for about a half hour. haha first thing i thought of.

dustinolson

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014

no.. if it was that then the clicking would be there right? i have no clicking.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Depends on how the power on relay was designed. Could be so quiet it can't be heard, or could even not be tripping at all. Fact of the matter is that these things aren't designed to last more than a few years, and I understand how frustrating it can be. I could probably dig a little more and find a write up on how to check the voltages coming from the power supply.

dustinolson

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014

i found another question about this and it may be the capacitors on the main board? is that a pretty easy thing to fix as far as tools go and knowledge of circuit boards?

dustinolson

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014

oh shit.. wait. i unplugged it for awhile. held the power button for 10 seconds and now i hear a clicking. any links to a good place to buy the power supply board?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well, if you go back to my original link, you'll see it could still be either the mainboard, or power supply. The likely culprit is the mainboard. Ebay is usually a good place to start with. Make sure you get the model # off the actual board, and not just from the TV model number. Sometimes they put different board revisions in the same model TV.