I have a Satellite C55 laptop that when powered on, only has the fan running and speeding up/slowing down

WarrenGT

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello all,

I have a Satellite C55 laptop that when powered on, only has the fan running and speeding up/slowing down. Here is what I've done so far to troubleshoot:

Unplugged power, removed battery and held power button down for at least 30 seconds. No change is what's happening.

Removed one memory module at a time, reseating each, and even completely removed both modules. Laptop doesn't even power on and power button white light blinks continuously. Even with only one module in, the power button blinks.

Cleaned out any dust in the fan and vent on the side. No dust present, and issue persists.

I've removed the bottom casing and checked for any loose connections. Everything checked out as far as I can tell.

Am I looking at a possible failed mainboard or is there something else to try?

Warren

Hi,

You've pretty much done all the possible troubleshooting steps that should have resolved the issue but here are more troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by connecting an external monitor and see if you'll get a display from it.
- If there will be a display on the external monitor that means the problem could be inside the LCD itself or the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard.
- If there's no display on the external display as well that problem lies inside the motherboard and replacing it would be the only solution.