I have a vizio E701i-A3 tv that was hit by lightning and now it does nothing at all. it will not come on and i have tried ho

Status
Not open for further replies.

pug man

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
I am having problems with my vizio E701i-A3 and would like to know what I should try to fix it. thank you.

Solution
Then congratulations, you successfully completed your first TV repair. You likely replaced more than what you needed and avoided electrocution. No one was looking down on you for being a 'hillbilly', the advice given was based on the info you provided. What you provided indicated a lack of knowledge in electronics repair, and the advice was tailored to that.

The cost of repair at a professional shop isn't just parts or labor. You're paying for a professional to use his experience to quickly and properly find your problem. It's also because even as an expert, they could be putting their lives on the line, one slip and closing the wrong circuit and you're done. There's no flickering lights and sudden x-ray view or frizzy smoking...

pug man

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
Sorry but that is not the answer that I wanted to hear. I want to hear from somebody that has had this problem and FIXED IT!! The parts on these TVs' are not that expensive so I know there is somebody out there like me that wants to fix it themselves and have. The problem is when you take these TVs' to the "experts" you get your eyes pulled out and they want your first born as payment. If I end up fixing it by trial and error you can bet your sweet ass that I will post it here and let you know what I did. Thanks for any suggestions you might have... ;o)

@pug-man, what answer you expect to hear?

- "Unscrew that screw, pull out that board, replace elements A, B, C"? Can you replace SMD elements?
- "Replace the PCB trace from point X to points Y Z if damaged"? Can you fix 0.5mm PCB board?
- "Measure the current thru element P and if below 1ma, replace element Q"? Do you have a multimeter capable of such a measurement?
- "Check the waveforms at TP7, and compare to reference". Do you have 100MHz osciloscope?
- There are quite harmfull voltages lurking inside that TV. Do you know where they are as to avoid them? Do you know how to deal with them?

First of all, did any of these questions make sense to you?
Second - you will not get these kind of answers. If you have no electronic experience (as it seems is the case), then you have no other option but to give it to a professional. And these professionals have spend couple of years studying and practicing their skills, so their services are not cheap.

I hope you will be alive to tell your firstborn that story about how you fixed your TV.

pug man

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
Vizio 701I-A3E folks, yall, yea I said yall, better write this stuff down quick before the NERDS that are a lot smarter than me have it removed because it might hurt their business. As I said before my TV was hit by lightning and I asked a few people if they could help me with it and all I got was, they are too expensive to work on and you change one part then you will have to change another and on and on bla bla blaaaaa. So I said screw it and I opened up the back of the set and was totally surprised at how little there was inside of it. So my wife and I got the part numbers off of the MAIN BOARD sj-Y8386194S which was $102.95 and the T-Con BOARD sj-RUNTK5261TPZH which was $99.34 and the POWER SUPPLY BOARD sj-09-70CAR000-00 which was $69.42 and just for giggles we ordered the IR SENSOR sj-Y8385867A which was only $9.95 for a grand total of $281.66 from ShopJimmy.com.. I told my wife we were not taking it to the "experts" because they would have only changed the 2 cent part that was bad and we would of had to take out a bank loan to pay them. When the parts came in we even unplugged the TV to work on it, imagine that because the "experts" try and scare the hell out of you to even try and work on these things. So us simple folk just took our time and made note of how everything was plugged and screwed and put all the "NEW PARTS" not used and not just what was bad back in the TV. Then here is the scary part, we decided to plug it back in with the back cover off and see if anything would explode because after all we didn't measure this and that and we didn't get the value of this or that and guess what yall? Yea I said YALL again..... THE DAMN THING IS WORKING!! WTF!! So I hope this will be here for a while and may be useful to some other just plan ole hillbilly who likes to do things themselves and doesn't like getting screwed by the "experts" because they use such big words. Oh and for the record folks I will be around to tell my first born what his Mom and Dad did one time.......

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Then congratulations, you successfully completed your first TV repair. You likely replaced more than what you needed and avoided electrocution. No one was looking down on you for being a 'hillbilly', the advice given was based on the info you provided. What you provided indicated a lack of knowledge in electronics repair, and the advice was tailored to that.

The cost of repair at a professional shop isn't just parts or labor. You're paying for a professional to use his experience to quickly and properly find your problem. It's also because even as an expert, they could be putting their lives on the line, one slip and closing the wrong circuit and you're done. There's no flickering lights and sudden x-ray view or frizzy smoking hair. It's a loud pop(if that) and drop dead. So you may have 'fixed it' by replacing everything, but you really could have hurt or killed yourself.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.