I have an older plasma tv without hdmi. How do I connect a blu-ray player to that tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrunningman1

Prominent
May 27, 2017
My plasma tv is about 13 years old and does not have an hdmi connection. I bought an Oppo blu-ray player and want to connect it to the tv. What do I need to do?

xrunningman1

Prominent
May 27, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from xrunningman1 : "Connections to an old pre-hdmi display"

I have a 13-year-old plasma tv with NO HDMI connections. I want to hook up an new Oppo dvd player to that. In between there is a cable box, a tv receiver box which is used along with the plasma, and a roku 2. I've got everything working except the blu ray player. I understand I need a converter, but which type, please?
Bruce Fichelson

Most (all?) Blu-Ray players have HDMI outputs only (so that they can be HDCP compliant). You don't have many cheap options, though:
- get a DVD-only player with composite and/or component video output (your TV should have them), and keep that Oppo for when you upgrade your TV as well
- get a new TV. If you keep that TV turned on a lot, in long term you will save a lot just from electrical bills.

alexg145

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I know this questions a little dated but have you ever thought of hitting OfferUp for a $40 PS3? That'll let you play Blu Ray over composite component or hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.