I have been subscribed to Cox Cable for about 3 yrs.now.I just found out about the cable box thing with the FCC vs. Cable com

Dave_106

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I just bought a new 32" flat screen t.v.,I have a digital rca antenna,a flat one in the garage,I M sure it's powered by a 9 volt transformer, do I need some sort of desk top box to use my digital antenna?

Desktop box - probably not. I have a similar antenna via Radio Shack that connects directly; i.e., antenna to the TV cable input.

The idea was that if we lost cable connectivity but still had electrcial power we would connect the flat antenna to the TV and hang the antenna on a nearby curtain rod. Just a matter of disconnecting the cable coax connection, connecting the antenna coax connection, and plugging in the antenna's power supply.

That way we could at least view a few local digital TV channels.

Take a close look at your Digital RCA antenna. Should be some model number on it. Google online to find the manual hopefully via RCA.

(Watch out for other sites offering the manual - be careful about any downloads from them...)

Did not think of that directly. Will need to let OP answer accordingly.

As for myself I just "played over it" based on the body of the posting knowing that sometimes the title part gets jumbled up.

Vaguely remember some issue with a cable company that was not informing customers that over the air digital was available - but will not ascribe that to this thread at least on my part.

Dave_106

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Dave_106 : "I have been subscribed to Cox Cable for about 3 yrs.now.I just found out about the cable box thing with the FCC vs. Cable com"

I have been subscribed to Cox cable for about 3 yrs.now.They have castreated me to basic channels and telling me that there are no more promotion packages available to fit my budget. So after 3 yrs.of loyalty it's more and less, a take it or leave it situation.They did let me keep fox news tho,so nice of them.I have no premium movie channels, not even the ones on channel 1 called the free zone.I just found out about the cable box thing the FCC has been saying is un constitutional. I have been paying 8 to 10 dollars a month for a D V R, I'm paying them 83.00 a month for internet/ t.v.and I'm thinking,for what?
I'm to the point I'd like to cancel my subscription and send them back all their equipment and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.my question is..I just bought a new 32" flat screen t.v.,I have a digital rca antenna,a flat one in the garage,I M sure it's powered by a 9 volt transformer, do I need some sort of desk top box to use my digital antenna?

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
much better question. i can understand it now :)

the antenna will hook to the tv and that's all you need for over the air channels. my mom just did the same thing and kicked cox to the curb. depending on your area we get 33 free over the air channels locally !!!

also signed her up for playstation vue for live cable channels. $30 a month gives you over 50 cable channels with no other fees. runs on PS 3/4 consoles or streaming devices like roku/fire stick/apple tv. it's a great deal for what you get and it even has cloud based dvr service that comes with it. you do need internet access but save a bunch of extra fees this way. worth a look.

After you connect the antenna lead to the TV you will need to run a channel scan so that your TV can detect the ova channels available. It won't tune any channels without doing the scan. Reorienting the antenna may give you more channels. You have to rescan for each trial.
You could also install KODI on your computer and use that on your TV to stream just about anything on demand for free.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Main_Page
This version is pre-configured so it's easier to try it.
https://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-windows/