How to get my old surround system to work with not just the cable box but the blu ray also.

MissyMae68

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
I have an old Optimus surround sound system. (no hdmi) An LG blu ray player (1 HDMI only) and an LG HDtv (non smart) the tv has 2 HDMI, 1 antenna/cable in, composit (red, green, blue), and 1 optical digital out. I have no clue what optical digital out means. The Surround sound has NUMEROUS ins and outs but no HDMI not sure if it has the optical digital out. Oh and the cable box is a motorola it has 1 HDMI and component(red,white, yellow)
Current hook up is: Optimus to cable box component, then HDMI from cable box to tv. This means anything cable related is in surround sound. but the blue ray player which is also netflix for us hooks directly to the tv by HDMI so it can only use the tv speakers which really suck
Is there any way to fix this hookup so we can use surround sound with either cable or blu ray player? This Optimus is a fantastic unit just outdated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Please be as detailed as possible cuz I am pretty new at this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nith81 Streaming Video & TVs 0
THEBDC Streaming Video & TVs 7
kris192 Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 3
E Streaming Video & TVs 5
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
K Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 9
covertcode Streaming Video & TVs 6
Similar threads
Question Audio from new Sony Android Tv to old Bose Lifestyle 48(No HDMI) through Optical cable distorted/crackling
Solved! Need help connecting HDTV, DVR, PS4 to a Sony Home Theatre system with only one HDMI OUT.
Solved! How to connect smart tv to old Pioneer surround sound system.
Solved! Trouble connecting projector to receiver and connecting laptop to receiver to stream video and sound to 5.1 speaker surround system
Solved! How to get Surround System from my TV
TCL Roku 6-series - Logitech z960 surround sound system not switching between DOLBY and Stereo
Solved! I'm trying to connect my old bose DVD surround sound system to my new Samsung smart TV but can't get TV sound to come out. The
how do i hook an lg tv an lg surround system an lg sound bar and a cable box
Need to hook up new logitech z506 surround sound system to my Toshiba TV (model No. 40e200U1). Have tried RCA cable and optica
How do I connect PS4 slim to Samsung HT-X30 surround system. I purchased an hdmi arc converter to use the optical cable with b
I have to connect my TV to my cisco cable box with YBR (don't ask). I have an older Sony Surround Sound home theater system, b
Need to hook up tv, TiVo cable box, DVD player, bluray player with surround sound system
How to connect Samsung phone to TV/Surround sound system through charging cable?
How to connect, Video from Dell Laptop (HDMI), and Sound from Dell Laptop to Sony Surround System (RCA)??
Trouble hooking up lg smart tv to onxyo home theater surround sound system.
Surround Sound System
Is there any way to hook up my Entertainment system (dvd-surround sound) to my smart tv without ARC or HDMI capability on
How many HDMI cables do I need to connect my laptop, HDTV and home theatre system to have surround sound?
RCA surround sound system goes silent on quiet noises
z906 surround system speaker wire help!!

ASK THE COMMUNITY