I have internet cable and connected my coaxial to the TV set and got several channels unfortunately they're all radio what do

Joanyf

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I have cable internet. I decided yesterday to see if I what would happen if I hooked it up to the coaxial at the back of my 32 inch smart TV I got several channels doing this can unfortunately most of them are radio I'm not sure if I need to do something else or this is the limit to what I can get do I need to hook up a cable box

Solution
It would appear, in your case, the cable company is only encrypting most of the channels they broadcast and to them, it's not worth the cost of sending a technician to your home to put a filter on your cable line to remove those non-encrypted channels. If they do not care, you should not care. Feel free to use the cable line to get what channels you can or just disregard the cable line and use an antenna to get the four channels you get for free, over the air.

-Wolf sends

Joanyf

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Wondering if the DUH was entirely necessary? the reason I come to a forum because admittedly I'm not an expert ..must be nice to be perfect. I get several channels ota and just wondered seeing as the tech left the splitter there for me. No need to carry on so.

The technician will often leave equipment, like the splitter, behind so they do not have to make another tech support trip to your residence if they can help it. Often, they will not place filters on the line to remove all television channels if the resident is not a cable TV paying customer. Most cable companies will encrypt most, if not all the channels they broadcast which then requires the use of a set top box. More than likely, the channels you are getting over the coaxial line are the same as you would get just using an over-the-air antenna.

-Wolf sends

Joanyf

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Sorry wolf that was for the previous gent. Well herez the thing, i get 4 channels ota which is actually fine. But i was ecstatic to have all thesr apoear when i connected to the coaxial. Iì

It would appear, in your case, the cable company is only encrypting most of the channels they broadcast and to them, it's not worth the cost of sending a technician to your home to put a filter on your cable line to remove those non-encrypted channels. If they do not care, you should not care. Feel free to use the cable line to get what channels you can or just disregard the cable line and use an antenna to get the four channels you get for free, over the air.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Joanyf

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Thanks. I confess to being someehat confused as my area has just opened up to resellers and its a little like the wild west. I dont watch eo much tv that i need a binch of channels but i do like golf....