I have no clue, help me choose

kasparesky

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hello :)

I'm having a hard time choosing my first smartphone, yes I know kinda late to the party :D Still rockin with my Nokia E52, pretty decent phone, but I feel it's time for an upgrade :)

So I'm looking at some Sony Xperia's like the SP, ZR, ZL and Z1S(not yet released)
I rather like the design of the SP but it has only a dual core cpu and I hear the camera is not that good, also I would prefer the size of SP or ZR, which are around 4.6 in. The ZR is water & dust proof but it doesn't really matter for me, it has a quad-core cpu though. The Z1S looks interesting, it's also water & dust proof, but has an impressive 2.2 Ghz quad-core cpu. A plus for the ZR is that it has a removable battery. The ZL looks great and has quite the hardware, but I'm afraid it might be too big, 5 in display, fullHD. I'm wondering if in the near future quad-core cpu's would really make such a difference, because I heard that despite the 1.7 ghz dual core on the SP it performs exactly as the 1.5 quad-cores of the ZL & ZR at the moment.

If you have any of these or have used them, I would really appreciate some input, because I'm really torn. Or maybe you have a different suggestion?

Thanks in advance ;)

kasparesky

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

I must say, I'm not a big fan of Samsung Galaxy's. I want the phone to do everything good, doesn't have to do all spectacular, but I would prefer a phone that can handle recent games, have a decent camera and is comfortable for every day use, internet browsing etc.
I will most likely buy it, I'm not a fan of contracts since you always overpay.

flyrojacoblowe

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Well if you're new to smart phones maybe a iphone would be good as the operating systems is quite basic, the 5/5s have very good camera's. However saying that you should visit a store/friends and have a play about with them.

kasparesky

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

I might be new to smartphones but not to different operating systems. I can't stand iOS (my older brother has an iPhone 5s), the limitations with that os are just ridiculous, the same with Windows mobile, not enough options for customization. It has to be Android. iPhone was always a pick for people who like an easy and smooth experience, but now Andriod has become as smooth thanks to recent software versions like 4.3 jelly bean and 4.4 kitkat, and I would say as user friendly as the iPhone. but with marginally more customization options.

kasparesky

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

My girlfriend has a Galaxy S2 and I'm not really impressed with the build quality, it feels very plastic, more like a toy than a smartphone. Is the S3 much different?

kasparesky

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks, I decided on picking up an unlocked Nexus 4, so far I'm very satisfied with it.

p.s. I forgot to mark this thread as solved when I bought it, sorry..