I just bought a new headset with a single audio/mic cord, and my laptop only has one audio/mic combo jack, but mic doesnt work

Cowmanben

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
I just bought a brand new Bose QuietComfort 15 headset, and it comes with only one cord for both audio and microphone. My asus laptop only has one audio/mic combo jack. When I plug my headset into the jack the microphone doesn't pick up sound or even show that it is present. The only mic that is shown is the internal laptop mic. If anyone knows how to fix this please help!

Solution
These headphones come with two cords, make sure you are using the one with a microphone.
Check that the 3.5mm plug has 4 metal sections rather than three.
Check that the plug is connected all the way in, the microphone input is the connection closest to the cord and hence the one most likely to stick out.
Are you sure the jack on your laptop is combined headphone and microphone?

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
These headphones come with two cords, make sure you are using the one with a microphone.
Check that the 3.5mm plug has 4 metal sections rather than three.
Check that the plug is connected all the way in, the microphone input is the connection closest to the cord and hence the one most likely to stick out.
Are you sure the jack on your laptop is combined headphone and microphone?

Solution

Cowmanben

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014

Yes I have checked all of that, the mic is still not active.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

The sound device for this microphone is built into the laptop.
Right hand click on the speaker icon in Windows and select "Recording devices".
What exactly do you see in this list?

Cowmanben

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014

It says "Microphone" and under it it says "High Definition Audio Device, Default Device" and its the only thing there.
I believe it's a software issue but I'm not sure what software it would need

Cowmanben

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014

Nope, there is no mute button.
Everything is physically fine, but the mic is just not shown anywhere.

Jon Boland

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
I haven't actually found a solution, although I currently have the same problem.. I have a Macbook Air with a HyperX Cloud headset.. I run windows on my computer.. If i run the defualt Apple software the Mic shows up but often loses power (I think) although the headphones continue to work.. When i switch the Windows the mic doesnt work at all any help? I have been told that the audio jack doesn't supply the power to the Mic by a friend if thats true how do i fix this??

Arkh3n

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi, I have the same problem w/ my Macbook Pro running on Bootcamp windows 7 (it's like a normal windows computer), I have only one combo jack input/output female jack, if I plug in my headset, one that can be used with a phone, so the jack is basically a combo jack too, the "headphone" part of it is recognized as plugged in, but not the "microphone" one, so I don't know how to fix the problem. I can provide screenshots to you if you want ... It's an issue for me since I want to buy a headset but I don't if the problem will be solved if I buy a splitter (and please, don't talk about USB headset, I don't have enough USB ports ...)

Waatsy

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I Made an account cuse i had a similar problem but i found a fix took me ages but heres the solution:
1)Control Panel
2)Realtek HD Audio Manager
3)To The right click the black circle
4)select Headset
That worked for me you might have to go into the mic tab and click the circle again but i kept doing that and it finally worked!!

Jack Le

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015
According to this picture, apparently there are 2 different standards for the combo jacks on the market, the mic and the ground rings are swapped. So if your mic didn't work, you could try finding a way to make a swapper for these two rings and try again. The combo jack in your computer may just have the different standard from the heaphones.
https://technosyndicate.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/122312_0549_common35mm11.png

I also found this http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mmmbI9yu_AOv3_sfaK4W8NA.jpg
You can try buying it and try again

ezenne430

Estimable
May 1, 2015

I am having the same problem with the same mic

Rob_5

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Try going into Control Panel and selecting SmartAudio if you have it. Go to Audio Director and choose Multi-Stream. This enables the 2-in-1 jack socket to be for both microphone and speakers. You may still have to go to Manage Audio Devices in Control Panel to select your defaults i.e. turn off the on-board laptop microphone etc.

Hope this helps someone.

harumegane

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015

Thank you so much! This has really helped me!

My laptop has a combo jack (that I thought was a headphone jack!), so I bought a USB audio adaptor. I tried plugging both the headphone and the mic of my headset into the USB adaptor, but it only recognised the headphone part. Also tried plugging headphone into USB adaptor and mic into the combo jack, same result.

I followed Rob's instructions, went into SmartAudio and chose Multi-Stream, also changed the Jack Configuration from Headphone to Headset. Now it works with the headphone line in USB adaptor and mic in the combo jack.

Thanks again!

T-J-89

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
On Asus F751L/X751L Realtek Audio manager has pop-up window when you connect a jack. For some reason ther is only one possible choice with combo jack. Speaker out / headphones / mic in / headphones.The 2nd headphones option make combo headset work both sound and microphone so it's probably stupid software developer mistake for not making it "Headset" or "headphones with microphone" option
Update
I actually did enable "mix stereo" in recording devices. Just check "show disabled/disconnected devices" to do so

Justas_3

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016

worked like a charm, thanks

Mikey_2

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016
I figured this out incase if someone still is looking for a solution

follow these steps:

go to ur recording devices and right click a blank space and select
show dsiabled devices then if u have a one jack mic/audio headset a thing should pop up that says HeadsetMIC and u enable using it and disable the otherone.

Hope this helped