I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2022
I recently bought an iPhone Pro 13 and the experience has been so good that I don't see myself ever returning to Android.

I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back : Read more

Who cares?! How many of you are going to post these generic posts? Go be a trend follower and worship a junk OS and stop talking about it! I'm so tired of people posting these, because they never say anything new. They just show how easy it is to trick them into believing iPhone's are any good!

Reactions: DigitalPackRat
Apr 18, 2022
Give me a break, Android is not that hard to use. These talking points are almost comical. I've had only Samsung phones and I also use an iPad. I can unequivocally say Android is an OS for actually getting things done. When I want to browse the internet then I'll use my iPad--the only thing it's good for.

Anatidae

Prominent
Apr 24, 2020
my Android phone and tablets would occasionally lock up or randomly restart. Apps could also become unresponsive and sometimes require me to uninstall and reinstall them. I’m a Windows user and face these same issues on PC.

My daily computing devices: Macbook Pro 16in 2020, iPad Mini, Samsung Note 10, Windows 11 self-built workstation.

Neither my phone nor my Windows devices randomly restart or lock up. Every time I read this I have to wonder what are people doing to their devices to cause this? I would say that ALL my devices are equally stable. This means, mostly great - but rarely there are instances. My most stable device is my Windows desktop followed by my Macbook Pro. Even then, my mobile devices - iOS or Android - aren't randomly rebooting or becoming unresponsive.

I shouldn’t have subjected you to those garish-looking green text bubbles. Sorry for making you put up with that.

While I like using all tech, this is part of what Apple does that I don't like. Apple doesn't add to the greater community, they choose to wall it off. There is a standard out there that Apple could use or Apple could have made FaceTime & Messages a world standard. At least Google (and Microsoft for that matter) put a lot of effort into open-source standards and maintaining open source projects. Apple and Facebook are the worst of the mega-tech-corps in collaborative standards.

In the end though, if you are having your apps freeze up or devices randomly rebooting - there is something wrong. Android or iOS, at this day and age they are both equally as stable as one another.

Reactions: andtheniwokeup
Apr 18, 2022
I tried the iPhone like you and just like I felt before I tried it I determined I'll never go with the iPhone. They both have their issues as I used them side by side personally and with my spouse and I'm sorry but the iPhone just doesn't cut it. You want simple? Cool. I operate my S22 Ultra with simplicity. You don't care about customization? Cool, personal preference; but I couldn't stand the iPhones lack of customization. All the problems some of you mentioned I rarely experience. ALL phones crash from time to time. ALL phones have their bugs. Has it been an issue on my Samsung? Not for years! I tried OnePlus, not too bad but didn't have what I wanted like Samsung. I tried the Pixel 6 Pro, a phone I absolutely loved KILLED by bugs and issues and overall I still thought it was a better phone than the iPhone. At the end of the day it's preference and personal experience. For ME, I'll never switch to the iPhone. Enjoy my green bubbles.

Apr 18, 2022
Give me a break, Android is not that hard to use. These talking points are almost comical. I've had only Samsung phones and I also use an iPad. I can unequivocally say Android is an OS for actually getting things done. When I want to browse the internet then I'll use my iPad--the only thing it's good for.
Right on

Tony Polanco

Prominent
Nov 1, 2021
We have both Android and Apple phones. I don't find either ecosystem lacking in any outstanding way. I prefer Android for a couple of reasons. One is the navigation. After all these years, I still am not used to the single button navigation with Apple. I just feel like a monkey smacking things until something happens close to what I was hoping for. The other is in fact the narrow set of customization options. I like my Microsoft Launcher and my tiny fonts and my custom icon pack.

Android still has merit for sure. Thanks for replying! :)

Tony Polanco

Prominent
Nov 1, 2021
I've gone from Android to iOS (iPhone 6) back to Android. But I've owned an iPod ( the first color screen version) as well.

So it's been awhile but my iPod was always glitchy...wouldn't power off! Wouldn't save my star ratings. I swore off Apple products but then the iphone 6 came out and at the time I decided...hey why not.

I loved that phone but once again it got glitchy on me. I had a terrible time with customer service. So bad that I once again decided i was never gonna own Apple products again.

That was a long time ago and since then I've been happy with Motorola or Pixel phones. Considerably better than my last Samsung phone. But alas I broke down and bought Apple again. But no products...just their stock when the COVID-19 hit. Now I LOVE Apple again lol.

That's quite a journey, my friend! lol

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
I have had the same Pixel 3A XL for over 2 years and never once had an app freeze or my phone randomly shut down or restart. Even after the 2+ years of heavy use I get more than a day of battery. I get up at 4:45am and go to bed at around 10pm with anywhere between 15-30% battery and I game and watch yt and make calls quite a bit during the day. The phone just works. Apple is a shady company (to be fair so is Google) but the amount of times we've seen Apple purposely restrict their users ability to repair the devices THEY OWN is terrible. The writer of this seems like they were born to use Apple saying things like "I don't need to customize my phone" and "who needs 3rd party apps". It's a shame a trusted site like Tom's would post an article that could sway people's decision.

Apr 18, 2022
Pure click bait paid for by Apple trash. You've been using the wrong Android phones to begin with. I never had those issues mentioned. Even my Pixel 6 Pro has been solid. Love being able to do things that the iPhone can only dream that it can do. That alone is enough to keep me on Android.

Apr 18, 2022
I recently bought an iPhone Pro 13 and the experience has been so good that I don't see myself ever returning to Android.

I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back : Read more

Perspective makes a difference I'd say. I work at a hospital that has deployed and maintains 1700 iOS devices. I use a Pixel device as my personal phone and my work cell has been every new iPhone that comes out (initially a perk).

After 6 years of setting up and troubleshooting Apple products for doctors, nurses, and my own work device...I don't care to own an iPhone or iPad for personal use. I do see why the people who like Apple stuff like it though. It makes perfect sense for them lol.

Apr 18, 2022
Not so fast...I've been using Samsung Android phones since the S3 and know LOTS of ppl who use Apple and I'm sticking with Android forever. Regardless of specific features, pricing, customization, etc., there is a fundamentally larger issue here. Namely Apple itself has confirmed that they intentionally slow down older phones, something that I have not heard any Android manufacturers doing. This is done purely to force ppl to buy new Apple phones when it isn't necessarily needed. Just to help Apple keep their sales numbers up. Personally I think this borders on criminal behavior. Plus in all the years I've had Samsung phones I've never had to change a battery. Every one of the ppl I know has had to change their iPhone battery every 2 years or less. So that's why I'm Android for life.

Apr 19, 2022
What sort of paid advertising nonsense is this? Look, you want to have an opinion, have an opinion.

You want to state some bs about how in 9 years you had to reload an app or 2 or reboot your phone once or twice with Android but in TWO weeks you haven't had to do that with Apple....... that's special.

But hey have fun paying for everything with Apple that's free with Android because you want.... simple.

Most of us prefer being able to completely customize our phone, use Google seamlessly and connect our phone with our daily lives with ease, including Google Home or Alexa.

You do you though.... just don't make up stupid reasons that make zero sense just because you're being paid to write an Apple article.

That's insulting.

Apr 19, 2022
This article made its way to my Google feed and I have to say, upon reading it, I now dislike life even more than I had previously. The fact that this is a published article from a reputable source is an absolute joke and a disgrace on the website, Apple, Android, and the human race in general. I honestly had to force myself to read it regardless of the elementary school level of writing and fan boy vibes that made me uncomfortable (go get a room, no?)
You're clearly worshipping Apple in a text format...saying you're not writing an android vs iPhone piece is an insult to the intelligence of your readers. Your subheadings are trash. I mean absolute trash. It's mind blowing you share your biased opinions and they are made public without it breaking an unwritten law banning fan boy fanaticism- I mean people might read this and actually take it seriously and that is so abhorrent and troubling I will lose sleep over it. You should be banned from civilization. That's how bad this pile of nonsense is. Doesn't even make sense. And no facts. How do you have a job?

Kennypompey3

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
I just woke up to find Google feed recommending this article and I had to sign up and say what's on my mind.
It's sad to see you have such an adamant opinion about Android without ever trying a Pixel phone - that one true Android experience, even more so since you seem to prefer the Google apps to their Apple counterparts. I must say I've owned only Pixels in the last 4 years and I don't believe I'm ever going back to any other phone maker (although I am tempted and curious) because of all the reasons you mentioned you love on an iPhone (the smooth experience, apps not crashing, phone never turning off or needing to restart).
I also believe it's a bit too soon for you to say NEVER GOING BACK to an OS after using a phone for only 2 weeks, which in the long term is rather insignificant. Trust me, you will encounter hiccups along the way, it's only natural and nothing is perfect.
Oh, that you don't need customization and that the iPhone better suits your needs (with MagSafe and all) that's a totally different thing to talk about.
But don't forget, people are different and there's a bunch of us who love Android for the free hand we're given, for the liberty it allows for other companies to build on, for the possibility to innovate, this giving Apple the way to implement features years and years after they've proven their use and value to the market.
I love Android because you don't have to pay a bag of money for apps and services and because I don't feel like I'm always a monkey in a cage, not being able to go my own way if that means it's different from the company's direction.
Been looking for a comment like this right here. Let's just summarise and say my case is the opposite as the writer's. But in my case, I made the switch to Google Pixel, and it's been all love! And to say iOS is without hiccups lol. Trust me mate it's all lies. iOS 13.3 permanently disabled wired earphones from functioning on my iPhone 8 plus (like I mean immediately after upgrading the version wired earphones ceased to work).

iOS 14 made a glitch on my friend's iPhone X that caused the right side of his phone to be unresponsive to touch. So stop with the whole Apple praise you're unduly giving here. Now both me & my friend are currently on Google Pixel. And asides the bugs which I encountered on Android 12 beta 3, using a Google Pixel is incredibly butter smooth. Even after updating all the way from Android 9 pie to Android 12 L. I was still gushing yesterday about how pleasing light mode on pixel felt after transitioning from dark mode in the early hours of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey121215

Kennypompey3

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
This article made its way to my Google feed and I have to say, upon reading it, I now dislike life even more than I had previously. The fact that this is a published article from a reputable source is an absolute joke and a disgrace on the website, Apple, Android, and the human race in general. I honestly had to force myself to read it regardless of the elementary school level of writing and fan boy vibes that made me uncomfortable (go get a room, no?)
You're clearly worshipping Apple in a text format...saying you're not writing an android vs iPhone piece is an insult to the intelligence of your readers. Your subheadings are trash. I mean absolute trash. It's mind blowing you share your biased opinions and they are made public without it breaking an unwritten law banning fan boy fanaticism- I mean people might read this and actually take it seriously and that is so abhorrent and troubling I will lose sleep over it. You should be banned from civilization. That's how bad this pile of nonsense is. Doesn't even make sense. And no facts. How do you have a job?
💯

Kite005

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
Im just the opposite. Switched to Android for phone some years back. Last year switched from ipad to Samsung tab 7. Also last year my MacBook Pro which I bought new, all of them were bought new, but the MacBook Pro lasted about 5 yrs before logic board failed. I think I paid top dollar for it. Now I have two PC's instead. Used, the Dell XPS a few years old model only under warranty for a couple more months running Win 11. HP ProBook even older running Win 10. Ungraded SDD for both and took one of the old SDD's put it in an enclosure and now installed/running Ubuntu on the HP external drivev for a lot less than another MacBook pro and I'm much happier now. I'm in control and machines all work. Any failures can now be dealt with, probably much cheaper, and I'm in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.