I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2022
I recently bought an iPhone Pro 13 and the experience has been so good that I don't see myself ever returning to Android.

I just switched from Android to iPhone after 9 years — and I'm never going back : Read more

Hi!
I was just rambling on to my best friend yesterday about how much I loved my new Apple iPhone and how, since she has vision issues, it would definitely bear checking out.

First, not sure I understood your complaint that the apps aren't alphabetical. Have you looked at sliding the pages to the far right, after the ones with the pictures of apps? Go to the end of the Rainbow.

If you touch the top search bar, they are alphabetical. I seem to remember you can make that permanent and make that your home page.

I kept hearing about Android being more flexible. Depends on what you want to flex. I've only run into one thing that I couldn't fix through settings. And, for that, an Apple chat tech listened to me when I said I'd researched and a factory reset didn't solve the problem. (Know how those darned IT folk other places have a set itinerary?) He put me through to phone support and the incredible man spoke to me for, literally, two hours.

He decided it was beyond what he could do. Offered to help me back up my phone and set up an appointment at an Apple Store.

And I'm not under warranty

But. Everything else, I've yet to find something I couldn't fix. I don't need to open the secret code and reprogram.

One I thought was amazing. I was having trouble with the push button not repsonding. Lots of advice, but nothing worked. I discovered the setting where you could determine how sensitive you want the button to be. Changed the setting and it's been months.

I was really impressed with how accomondating the accessibility features are. I've yet to figure them all out. But, I set up the phone for a very disabled person. It had me in tears how much that phone had to offer him.

I've been Android for decades. Nothing like this. He has been able to use his phone better than I've ever seen.

Visibility issues, he has MS so coordination issues. That phone. Every challenge, there was a solution. He looked at it. Got choked up. Said, "It's a whole new world."

What was that about flexibility?

(Also suggest the Logitech 480K keypad. Someone mentioned the back button. Only think I miss from my Samsungs. And the keyboard takes care of that.)

Apr 17, 2022
Oh please. Who foots the bill for these Apple ads?

I have had an Apple computer. An iMac. It was a lock up machine. Processing 10 minues of video took hours. I could never tell if it was locked up or just taking forever for a task my HP performed instantaneously. It was a piece of junk. I haven't had Windows crash since the 90s.

I've never had an android phone lock up or reboot. Never. I've owned Samsung, LG, Motorola, and Google. I got talked into an iPhone and got tired of Apple telling me I wanted everything their way no matter how stupid it might be. If you don't use Apple everything you would be a fool to go down that road. They don't play well with anything without fruit on the back. Hard pass on that.

You really need to have a 'sponsored by' disclaimer for this tripe.

Apr 17, 2022
Lord. I was real interested to hear what you had to say. I'm so tired of people sounding angry and "us against them". I didn't hear much past that, sorry.
I'm sure any experience, there's an equal and opposite experience somewhere else.
No biggie, Just wanted to say it. Usually I just move on.

Feels like the climate change isn't all about weather.

Reactions: Ritesh Tripathy

shimakatase03

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
A couple weeks back I decided to upgrade the amount of storage space on my phone I went to Amazon bought a 512GB micro SD card for $64. The process was easy, cheap, and above all painless. I just looked at how much that process would cost for iPhone well that is impossible to say the least as you can't add storage space but I did notice the 512GB model is $300 more than the 128GB model. That works out to over $.75 per GB so just in the interest of not being ripped off im going to go with any company but apple!

Reactions: dlmobs
Apr 17, 2022
I love how people say "switched from Android to iPhone" and make comparisons when there are thousands on phones that use Android OS and only one type of phone that uses Apple OS. So no, you didn't "switch from Android to iPhone" you switched from SAMSUNG to iPhone. Pixel is a completely different experience and lumping all android experiences into one is completely incorrect.

Apr 17, 2022
As someone who works in the Cellphone industry, I prefer Android. IPhones are an estimated 80% of our Tech calls. I hear the pain points of ios.
I currently own a Samsung S22 Ultra and love it! I have both Facial Recognition and Fingerprint. I have the option of toggling 60 hz and 120hz refresh rating. Punch hole selfie camera, power share, Smart things, SmartSwitch (Transfer app as well as SmartSwitch for Windows and Finder), auto restart, etc. I also love the fact that I can use both Google and Bixby (she saves my parking spot!) as my assistant. Samsung user who loves the experience and will not switch.

Reactions: Che5
Apr 17, 2022
A couple weeks back I decided to upgrade the amount of storage space on my phone I went to Amazon bought a 512GB micro SD card for $64. The process was easy, cheap, and above all painless. I just looked at how much that process would cost for iPhone well that is impossible to say the least as you can't add storage space but I did notice the 512GB model is $300 more than the 128GB model. That works out to over $.75 per GB so just in the interest of not being ripped off im going to go with any company but apple!

Hi Shimakatase03. I've grappled with the same issue. My Galaxy Tab S3 has a nice sized SD, 128gb. I have a horrible time, with memory on it.

I'll probably be scouring the forums on that one. But, I've been looking for a long time.

I have lots of storage. Plenty on the card. But, the tablet's memory gets chewed up fast. Not many apps. I send everything I can to SD and/or cloud.

I had to do a factory reset. Still a battle.

I hated, hated, hated paying that much for storage on the iPhone. I'm a cheapskate, but I spent the extra bucks coz I was so tired of the storage battle on my tablet.

I didn't think I'd like it, but I do like that there isn't a separate card on the phone. Plenty of space, and I don't have to think about it.

I do hate that the iCloud storage is pretty small. I don't feel like spending an extra dollar when I spent a ton already. So, it makes backups a challenge.

Apr 17, 2022
The biggest issues that keep me away from iPhone is the lightning jack and the biggest one is that all iphones are completely made in China. Samsung shut down all Chinese plants. Please Apple... Stop supporting China!

Apr 17, 2022
Honestly this has got to the most cringeworthy phone thread piece I've ever read. The guy used to be with Samsung all the time he was on Android 🙄, ive done quite a few brands of android and most are very similar but apple good god, this is rediculous, it soo tight in operation you may as walk into a prison, that works really well, you will go back to an android I'll tell you that..

Apr 17, 2022
Hi Tony,

I have been using an iPhone for 12 years now, a year ago I bought an Samsung S21 as most people I know was ranting about how great android is etc.

Luckily I kept my iPhone 12 device and currently use both in tandem.

Your article and comments are spot on and I fully share your opinions. I am of opinion, experiencing both worlds now, that the ranting about Android is only because of users not knowing what they are missing out on iPhone. Yes Android is customizable but who really cares, customization on my Samsung only made the the already anoying problems worst being battery life and app/system crashes and lag.

iPhone is just in another class at this stage.
App crashes? Samsung's phones lately have been buttery smooth and there have been no crashes at all on my S21 U.. Leave aside customisation that Android offers, the basic software interface is more user friendly then iPhones. For example, I can setup my icons and widgets wherever is like in Samsung. Next, I can easily swipe from middle of screen to bring up shortcuts and notifications, unlike iPhones clunky way of swiping from the top right to bring up control centre and left to bring up notification - how clunky is that. Even the implemtatiin of widgets are half baked by Apple, you cannot scroll or interact with the widgets. You can't even split screen and multitask like in Android. Notifications - again, this is one space where Android trumps. Even gesture navigation is better in Android where Android allows to go swipe to go back in an app from both sides not like iPhones way to only allow from left side, how annoying . Don't see how iPhones are superior than Android. HELL, IPHONES CANT EVEN SHOW A BATTERY PERCENTAGE 😂

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022
I think you are apple employee now that is why apple is far superior. Only in America apple has great publicity campaign start with children grow up Americans love apple Then parents apple make children get apple . Android phones are far superior the World Android is number one mobile Android takes time to set up properly.Apple everything is simplified easy no thought involved setting anything up .I prefer android freedom do what I want with my phone . Some people prefer Apple just not my cup of tea

Apr 17, 2022
I registered just to comment on this tbh, as a long standing android user it's a very biased review/reflection.
To be clear this is Samsung Vs Apple and shame on Apple if they can't beat an older Samsung with its associated limitations/bloatware
You should try a new pixel phone, or a Sony phone or any of the other manufacturers before you quote 'android is clunky'.
I am a long standing Sony Xperia user on Android .. I always buy the flagship and it has delivered more often than not a very slick experience.
Apple have made people think so simply and it's damaging to competition and progress- shame on this article on a technical website for endorsing that so blindly.

oh4

Apr 17, 2022
I don't dislike iOS. And sure, you can find almost every app you use on Android in Apple's App Store. However, not all apps in both ecosystems are created equal. I tried to go to iOS a handful of times. Though I don't necessarily tweak Android specific settings as much, the lack of flexibility in iOS makes some of the apps in Apple's App Store limited. For example, Home Assistant isn't as flexible on iOS as it is on Android. This is the case with a handful of apps I use. They just work different and sometimes not all options that are available on its Android version is available on the iOS version because of the lack of flexibility.

Apple's iOS is polished but sometimes a little too polished. I wish I could love iOS because I really enjoy working on my Mac. But Android combined with KDE Konnect on Linux works great for me. And for my day job, MacOS is just fine. iOS, still is, limited

Joshua Yeldose

Honorable
Aug 30, 2016
From someone using both a Galaxy Note 10 plus and iPhone XR, I thought there could be really valid arguments for getting an iPhone over android when I started reading this article but magsafe is the best you can do? My iPhone freezes once in a while and has to be restarted but the Galaxy, I can't even remember it getting stuck. I find it easier to do regular stuff like searching for files, even attaching files to email with the Galaxy.

Apr 18, 2022
Of course, this is what happens when you get into echo system you are not used to. It intoxicate. I don't see the smoothness of iOS being superior after using Google Pixel 6. This is just another thread to bring fanboys to argue again.

Apart from customization, there are whole lotta limitations that can't make me be comfortable with iPhone. Most iPhone users in my country can't use only iPhone. Android must be there to fill in the flaws of iPhone.

Apr 18, 2022
I was a iphone user with the rest of my family. Slowly all of us moved away to androids. Samsung Galaxy, Sony Experia and Pixels.

Personally i have a Note 20Ultra and would classify myself as a heavy user. I cant even think of going back to an iphone. On real world usage i beleive iphone is years behind on software. On cpu only, they may have the fastest chip, but no phone ever needs runs at full speed all the time.

I had magsafe, but it just madebthe phone bulky in one pocket. I prefer wallet in one and phone in other.

Personal opionions end of day.

Ritesh Tripathy

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
Seriously? Is it still 2015? Most of the "reasons" in this article sound like Apple PR speak. iPhones, iOS and Mac have PLENTY of issues, including freezes, lockups, complete data loss (happened to several people I know) and a whole lot more.

I've owned Android phones for over a decade, never lost a single byte of data apart from once and that was user error anyway.

I've never had a lockup, random restart, stuck update or anything significant enough on my S21 Ultra or my previous Note 20. Not once. Minor bugs, yes, but nothing major. My cousin's iPhone 12 Pro otoh.. stuck update twice, several random reboots, app crashes, he's seen it all. And lord forbid he breaks anything, he can't have it fixed even with genuine parts unless he pays Apple what they demand. Because everything is software locked and serial-locked to "Apple approved" parts.

I haven't even mentioned the laundry list of useful features I would miss on iOS. And that afterthought of a notification system..

Screw that!

Reactions: DigitalPackRat
Apr 18, 2022
Hard to take the article seriously when comparing years of Android use with 2 weeks of ios use and saying you've not seen as many bugs.

Use whatever device is best for you, Android, ios, Windows, who cares; but don't make bogus claims about issues without equivalent comparison periods.

I have an S21+ and a 2017 iPad and see just as many app crashes and issues on each device. This idea that ios 'just works' while Android is constantly failing is ridiculous.

Last edited:

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
If you want an app alpha list, go to the last page and swipe down from the middle of the page.

I think you can then hide the other home pages if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS