I moved from Windows to macOS for work — and I never want to go back

May 30, 2023
I've spent months working on macOS after switching from Windows. In my opinion, Windows is lacking.

I moved from Windows to macOS for work — and I never want to go back : Read more
Of course, now that macOS has a Windows game translation tool for developers, Windows' time being atop the gaming totem pole will soon come to an end.

Also just use the Copied app to get 1000 of your most recently copied clipboard items, if you want them, and you can sync them between computers if desired also using iCloud.

The Better Touch Tool brings up window snapping. Any other thing you're missing from the world of Windows has a third party equivalent - Ubar for MacOS gives a Windows-style taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

Personally, I set up the dock to the left hand side, and to hide, and I set up the Ubar app to appear at the bottom, and to hide, too.

If you don't like these apps there are others, Mac apps offer plenty of choice.

I went with Mac in 2011, once you go Mac, you don't go back. Windows will soon be the worst platform upon which to run games, and Macs the best. It's just a matter of time, and not much time at that. The one platform to rule them all is Apple... it will be a great day when Windows dies a well deserved death, and Bill Gates' legacy is erased, permanently, as befits a man of his dubious character.

Jul 3, 2023
I’ve used macs for close to 20 years.
Next laptop will be back to windows. I do nothing groundbreaking on my laptop. Use windows at work, and ask myself why I’ve been paying the apple tax for so long. There are still programs I would like to use that are windows based.
Only reason I bought the 14 pro max is my girlfriend talked me into it.
I do love my iPad though.

Jul 4, 2023
Like most people, Windows brought me into computing. Me and Vista drove me to Linux. Work exposed me to Mac. I like Mac's for non-tech stuff, but the costs are absurd. They have so many tricks to get more money out of you too. You have to get cloud service, you have to buy dongles, you can't upgrade anything, and all the apps cost money. Windows these days looks bad, Linux on the other hand has progressed so much.

I'm never leaving Linux, my productivity is much better on it, I have privacy, I can customize it exactly how I want, and it doesn't force me to upgrade away from good hardware because it's performance is so high. Plus, Steam games are getting better.

GH057_02

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
I liked it at first too until I had to do the first system update on my macbook pro and all my "non-Apple-software" stopped working. With a bit of basic knowledge - or some googling- you can get most of the productivity features on windows as well without having any fear of backwards compatibility for software or hardware compatibility in general (I had to adapt drivers to get my old printer to work which is a pain in the 4$$ in OSX).
On the other hand if you just want internet and apple software and dont mind paying the hefty premium for apple products OSX is definetely the better choice.

Jul 4, 2023
I have to use a Mac for work. I get why, because they want a consistent experience for all employees, ensuring everyone isn't wasting time on tools that don't work with their distro or os, along with enforcing security policies, and that does work, but I can't find a single redeeming quality from a personal perspective. I can't wait to shut off my Mac when I'm done working for the day. I use my own keyboard and monitor, that helps, but everything about the UX is horrible to me, and just slows me down. For the love of all that's unholy, why can't alt-tab flip between the last two windows instead of bringing every single terminal window above the other app I am working in? Hateful. I write code and documentation all day. It's a daily slog because I have to use a Mac, and we explicitly can't use a personal computer/ laptop.

Jul 4, 2023
Windows users:
Mac users: mAc is BeTter!

Screenshots go brrr and renaming some files (a lot of which is easily solved with Windows power toys) is hardly enough to justify purchasing a product from Apple.

Their anti competitive practises are disgusting, just look at all the right to repair lawsuits going on around the globe. They make proprietary hardware like pentalobe screws and nvme ports just to make repairing their devices harder and more expensive and if they cant do it on hardware they do it with software too. just try to repair an iPhone with genuine apple parts without Apple. Near to impossible. and now all Mac books and iMacs have their ram and ssds soldered directly to the mainboard, making repair or upgrading near to impossible... oh no! guess you'll have to buy another one! Not to mention all the money they make from royalties and licensing use of their proprietary hardware, Just to make more money. They make all their money by screwing over their customer base and their customer base just shrug and come back for more.

Welcome to the anti repair, anti competitive but far superior club.. they'll be glad to have you!

Jul 7, 2023
Umm sure you can rename a file on MacOS using a single keyboard button but.... how could you forget of using F2 on Windows? Or how could you dismiss Power Tools? Lol.

Don't get me wrong. I use both OS. I have a PC and a Macbook and I do find things better on Mac, but not much like what you've mentioned. I like how multi-finger gestures are superior on Mac so if you do use a trackpad, it's just a smooth ride and how scrolling feels more intuitive. Or how working in spreadsheets feels better on Mac.

But when it comes to some other stuff, I do prefer Windows. Like whenever I do this stuff on Mac, it just feels disorganized and so, so overcomplicated, one being multi-windowing apps, among others, such as having multiple windows of different Chrome profiles simultaneously available as separate pinned icons in the taskbar. ;) That sure saves clicks, i mean you were talking about clicks, why don't you mention things like that?