I need a good Laptop for College!

Aug 11, 2018
Hello, I am going to start college this upcoming year and I will be majoring in computer science/cybersecurity. I need a good laptop! I know nothing about laptops and really need some advice. I have few requirements for this laptop but I really need it to last 4 years, I don't want to have any issues with it. Because my major is computer science/cybersecurity I will be running heavy duty programs and making Virtual machines, so the computer needs to have some power. I need 16gb ram, i7, GOOD LONG LASTING BATTERY LIFE, SSD, 15 inches, and lightweight. Please help. I need to buy a laptop ASAP. I was looking at the Gigabyte Aero 15 or the HP Spectre x360. Help please.

Solution
I believe the Razer is considered over priced? Their products usually are. I've never used their laptops.

One thing I would emphasize is the keyboard. You will spend a long time typing on whatever you get so you want one that "feels" right. Which is very subjective of course but really can't be under emphasized. You might also consider getting a small external carry keyboard that has better ergonomics than any laptop keyboard can provide. I'd rec this one but looks like its not in production anymore so prices are crazy (I paid $40 back in the day) https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Arc-Wireless-Keyboard-Xbox/dp/B002VR6A9K

Oh forget to mention but if you are becoming a student you can usually get a student discount, though that...

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Might also look at the Dell G5 or Dell XPS 15". Also Thinkpad T580 has some long battery life if you opt for the version with the expanded battery (26.1 hours by their test).

One side note with the new Intel 8xxx series CPUs the i5's are now 4c/8t and the i7s are 8c/16t. So you'd be okay with an i5 "H" series or a Ryzen R5 u series as your base level.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
The XPS has been Dells "premium" line for a long time. They're generally well regarded, though I personally haven't used one in a long time so I can't vouch for how good they are today. Quick pass on reviews seems to indicate they're still a good choice.

Aug 11, 2018
@why_wolf Ok thanks. Is it better than a razer 14 inch blade? I am going to bestbuy to check out some options. Looking at the gigabyte aero, XPS 15 and the HP spectre x360.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
I believe the Razer is considered over priced? Their products usually are. I've never used their laptops.

One thing I would emphasize is the keyboard. You will spend a long time typing on whatever you get so you want one that "feels" right. Which is very subjective of course but really can't be under emphasized. You might also consider getting a small external carry keyboard that has better ergonomics than any laptop keyboard can provide. I'd rec this one but looks like its not in production anymore so prices are crazy (I paid $40 back in the day) https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Arc-Wireless-Keyboard-Xbox/dp/B002VR6A9K

Oh forget to mention but if you are becoming a student you can usually get a student discount, though that may require you to already have your student ID or @edu e-mail address.

Solution