i need a safe java app for long-term (hours) testing

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
ok, i have a machine that i use for stocks / forex trading, and the platform is java based. lately i've noticed that the whole platform will freeze after anywhere from 30min to 5hrs. the rest of the machine works fine, though.

is there a "safe" java app that i could run and have it do stuff for several hours, and see if it's java itself that's causing things to freeze or if it's the trading platform? ideally a java app that displays something across a dozen or so separate windows. yes, that many. no worries, i have 7 monitors to use for all these windows.

ideas?

Have you contacted the support people for your trading platform? May be your computer is short on resources?

Java uses out-of-band "garbage collector", which may kick in any moment (when resources get low), and this could explain what you're observing. And if the developers of your trading app were lazy / dumb, this is what you will get.

Number of monitors has nothing to do with that - your app does not care whether you have seven open windows on a single monitor, or spread on several.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
well, i've tried Win7 and Win8.1, 4G or 8G (and i think 12G and 16G) of ram, and java from 7u80 to 8u60, and i have a memory heap indicator which never goes past 500meg or so (986meg of max heap)

the guys did update the platform but i'm not sure if maybe it was for some other reason, cuz it still freezes after 3 hours or so.

i notice that - once it freezes - my task manager / resource monitor shows 0% CPU on the jp2launcher.exe process

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I wouldn't use Windows. Switch to Linux for Forex trading, as you want the most possible secure out-of-box system possible. You may want to also look into changing the application's default flags (e.g., Xmx, Xms, etc.).

For monitoring, if you're stuck with Windows you need to use Sysinternals Suite. It's free and is available from Microsoft. Check it out here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

Solution