I need advice choosing cooling pad for my Asus G551JM

Karcsi9104

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi Guys!

I should replace my old cooling pad which is dying. With all the reviews, technical data and threads of this forum, I can't decide between some models, so I need some help. There are the 5 pads (here in Hungary they are 35-50 USD):

1) Cooler Master NotePal U Stand: 2 x 100 mm fans those positions can be varied, and 4 or 5 height positions, also my old one is a Cooler Master X2 and it worked perfectly until recently. In this forum in recent threads, various Cooler Master pads have been selected as best answer but I also read about bad quality fans in the U2 so I don't know what to think.

2) Enermax Aeolus Vegas: 1 x 180 mm fan, also moveable, but with fix height.

3) Thermaltake Massive23 LX: 1 x 230 mm fix fan, fix height, and I read that it provides good cooling.

4) Thermaltake Massive23 GT: 1 x 200 mm fix fan, and 5 height positions. In one review, it performed slightly worse than the U Stand but cooling performance is laptop dependant, so I didn't exclude it from my list.

5) Enermax Aeolus Pure: 1 x 250 mm fix fan, fix height, but I don't know if the huge fan can provide more heating than a better positioned smaller one.

Which one of the above would you suggest for me to buy? Thanks for the help!

Solution
There are more efficient ways to exhaust heat from the laptop, although they require more technical knowledge and are more involved.

That aside, I hear good things about the NotePal U models.

Robtl

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014
Karcsi,
I currently use a Coolermaster X3 to cool my Toshiba Qosmio.
The Qosmio has a bad reputation for running hot.
I took the hard drive cover off the bottom of it and when I render video or something else that is demanding I turn on the Coolemaster. The Core I7 cpu has never gone above 90 degrees C . . .
Of course, this laptop sits in one place and is more of a desktop replacement for me than it is a portable . . .

Robtl

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014

Hello Prostar Computer,
Can you please expand and expound on your statement?
Thanks!
Robtl

Absolutely!

The most efficient ways of ensuring proper heat dissipation and cooling, some of which are involved (aforementioned), and some not so much:

1. Keep the laptop elevated. The small rubber feet/standoffs on the laptop are meant for this, but don't elevate one much. Some people use bottle caps on the back corners of the laptop to give rise to it, allowing the laptop to draw air in easier (it's best to keep the laptop on a hard, flat surface as well).
    2. Use an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blow out the fan(s) and heat sink(s). Debris clogs the laptop and suffocates it. preventing it from pulling enough air in and often from exhausting hot air. Blowing it out once a month or so serves to prevent this.
    3. Often times, the stock TIM (thermal interface material) is poorly applied from the computer manufacturer's factory. Using a better TIM, a.k.a thermal compound, as well as applying a better "paste job," can make a lot of difference. Additional copper heat sinks (like these) can help to some degree (pun intended), also.

Those are just a few things to consider. Some enthusiasts go so far as to "mod" the laptop chassis, thus drilling more holes or the like. I DON'T recommend this, though there have been a few instances where someone successfully modded their laptop's case for better airflow (very risky though, and can actually hinder the cooling design).

Karcsi9104

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015

It's good to hear alternate things. The laptop is new (1 month old), and for now CPU temperatures are in the high 70s max 81-82 °C when performing test with Intel XTU and the GPU is between 75 and 80 °C when benchmarking with Unigine Heaven and Valley, but I want to be prepared for intensive gaming with 2015 games.
Dirt shouldn't be a problem for the moment, I was thinking abot cleaning it regularly, but I don't know how often should I do it. Any suggestion? I don't want to wait until temperatures rise drastically.
The increased elevation wasn't in my mind. I did it with our old router but I did not consider it to be done with a laptop. If I find it stable enough I might do it when not using a cooling pad.
"Modding" the cover would be very risky indeed. That's not something I want to do.

Which laptop do you have? These temps are normal for a lot of our gaming laptops, but may or may not be for your laptop.

About once a month, especially if you use it daily. If you don't use the laptop extensively, you should be fine blowing it out every two months.

As with just about any electronic device, if you take care of it and it's not prone to defects right out of the box, then it should take care of you in return. There will always be exceptions, but you better your odds of something not falling apart when you maintain it. :)

Karcsi9104

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015

Thanks for the answer!
I will take that into consideration. Luckily I don't use it much, I only have relatively much time at the weekends.
It's an Asus ROG G551JM. I've looked at the ROG forum and these temperatures are normal for this type (or at least the people writing on the forum experience the same and also in the reviews I read). Nevertheless I still want that cooling pad since lower temperatures are better.

You're welcome!
Those are good laptops, by the way! Asus engineers good systems. Yes, your temps are normal. A cooling pad may help by a degree or two, but if you or someone else can employ said alternatives, I think those will prove more viable.

Hopefully you're enjoying the laptop!

Quertim

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
Szia Karcsi!

Szintén Magyarországról írok, hasonló problémával. Érdekelne, hogy sikerült-e megoldanod végül a hűtési problémát és ha igen, hogyan?
Előre is köszönöm! (Esetleg felvehetném veled e-mailen a kapcsolatot?)

Üdv.:
Péter