I need help hooking my samsung tv to my OLD Sony stereo reciever

Kzinger

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
I just bought a new Samsung tv, series 45 4000 5003 and I want to hook it up to my old Sony reciever, model # STR-DE135. I cannot figure out how to hook it up so the tv sound goes through it. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thank you!

Solution
If the TV has a headphone jack you will need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo mini plug at the TV end and 2 RCA plugs at the receiver end. The TV remote will adjust the volume.
If the TV doesn't have a headphone out it may an optical digital audio output. This requires a Toslink audio cable to connect it to a digital to analog audio converter like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999
You connect a stereo RCA audio cable to it and the other end to any input on the Sony other than phono.
Check the TV manual on how to use the optical audio output. You may have to turn it on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type,
This is a fixed audio output so you...

Kzinger

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Kzinger

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Thank u so much for the answer. Is there any chance u would mind explaining it a little clearer for me? I know nothing about tv/stereo terms. Thank u again so much!

If the TV has a headphone jack you will need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo mini plug at the TV end and 2 RCA plugs at the receiver end. The TV remote will adjust the volume.
If the TV doesn't have a headphone out it may an optical digital audio output. This requires a Toslink audio cable to connect it to a digital to analog audio converter like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999
You connect a stereo RCA audio cable to it and the other end to any input on the Sony other than phono.
Check the TV manual on how to use the optical audio output. You may have to turn it on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type,
This is a fixed audio output so you will adjust the volume with the Sony remote not the TV remote.

Solution

Kzinger

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Kzinger

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017