I need help replacing an amp in my office

Nov 22, 2018
Over the past 5 years I have had to replace my speakers amplifier twice. The currently, the last amp only lasted 1 year.

How my office was set up is as follows:
10 speakers hard wired travel to a 1000W amp. This amp is situated in my back electrical closet. From this amp, it is hard wired to my front desk where there is another amp (the one that is dead). This is where I plug in my android to play music.

Speakers are 150W 51/4' 2-way in ceiling speakers (PDIC51RD 4-8ohm)
Backroom amplifier is Torque Audio AW1 (1000W)
Front amp was a Pyle 120wx2 amp
Small Galaxy tab with MP3s

There is proper speaker wire from speakers to 1000W amp, 10 sets of red and black. At amp, all reds connected to red, and all blacks to black on back of amp.

From there, my installer switched to 23awg/8 wire. These 8 wires go through drop ceiling and arrive at back of pyle amp and 4 groups of 2 wires enter back of amp.

I am questioning if this set up is causing my front amp to die?
Also, what can I reliably replace it with so my amp won't die on me?
Is there an issue of 10 speakers at 150W (1500W) going to a 1000W amp?
What size amp would I need at the front desk? I am thinking of getting a receiver instead that has bluetooth capability and built in radio.

Thanks in advance, you help is much appreciated!

Here is the requested diagram as I see it.

2yopxuh.jpg

Solution
You can use almost any receiver that you wanted to as long as it has audio out. What it should look like is the audio out from the receiver to the line in on each of the amplifiers. Shouldn't have speaker out from one amp to the line in on the other amp. That is a recipe for failure of your equipment unless it is specifically made to handle such a load and voltages.

indsup

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
You shouldn't run an output from an amp to an input of an amp. The output is considerably different voltage than the input, this will kill the input circuit of the second amp. That will cause the second amp die if it works at all. You would have to run the input to each amp and control the input levels to control the output to the speakers. Wired completely wrong. The installer is at fault on this they would have or should have known better.

Nov 22, 2018

2yopxuh.jpg

Nov 22, 2018

Can you please explain how I should wire this? I would like to have a receiver at the front desk that I can wire to the back amp before going to the speakers. Is this possible?

indsup

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
You can use almost any receiver that you wanted to as long as it has audio out. What it should look like is the audio out from the receiver to the line in on each of the amplifiers. Shouldn't have speaker out from one amp to the line in on the other amp. That is a recipe for failure of your equipment unless it is specifically made to handle such a load and voltages.

Solution