I need help setting up external gpu adapter for my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foomau5

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
Just recently i bought an external gpu adapter for my laptop (http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html) and I cannot get my gpu to display on my monitor. I am pretty sure that I connected everything together right because both the fan for my psu and my gpu are running. However when i go to my device manager i do not see my gpu there under display adapters its just my integrated gpu. If anyone has an idea of how to fix this it would be really helpful.
Specs:
Cpu - Intel core i7 - 4700MQ
Gpu - Intel hd 4600
AMD R9 290
PSU - Raidmax 1000W 80 Plus Gold
Ram - 12gb

Solution
It does need both connected regardless of noise along with the power adapter to the port also. A noise cancelling headset might be desired to deal with the noisy fan(s).
As far as why it isn't being recognized (even with all power connected), check BIOS to see if there is a selection to allow the PCI slot to function (which may be disabled by default).
Since the Envy 15 is a series of laptops and does not refer to a specific model, I am unable to find your manual (model specific) in HP's support, if you can link your model through here, it may help http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-search.html?tab=1#!
I'm thinking it may show under the System Devices tab in Device Manager since that's where the PCI bus can be found

There is more than one thing that is confusing me about the adapter, one of which is power, how do you have your power connections set up currently?

Foomau5

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

My psu is plugged directly into the wall and goes through the adapter and my laptop is plugged into an extension cord. My psu won't turn on unless the adapter is connected to my PCIe port, and once it is turned on both the psu and gpu fans start to spin and the adapter light turns blue to let me know that it is on.

Let me clarify here as to how I believe you should be connected up - see how close I am... the 8 pin PCI and 6 Pin PCI on the video card are coming from your PSU and the adapter is powered through a power adapter that came with the PCI adapter which appears to be an 8 pin PCI connection.
I'm assuming HDMI connection to an external display

nick779

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I can practically guarantee your BIOS is whitelisted against it. All of the major brands generally keep

Is there anything under "unknown devices" or something like that?

Foomau5

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
From my psu there is a 24 pin slot connected to a 20 pin the 20pin only has one wire comming out of it there is a 4pin plus the 20 pin both connected to an 8pin which goes into the adapter. On top of the gpu there is a 6pin that goes to a 6pin on the side of the adapter. Then there is the hdmi to pci-e cord that runs into my laptop. I checked my device manager and there is something from an unkown device but i can't update it, there is nothing from my gpu under system devices. I might have not connected all the cords correctly though because when I first started I was not sure what went where.

Okay, I'm going to suggest not using the 6pin pass through (from adapter to graphics card) and instead plug the 8pin PCI and the 6Pin PCI cables straight from the PSU to the top of the graphics card, it needs both connected to power - I wouldn't think anything else is needed

If needed, you can still use the 6 pin pass-through to the graphics card but you'll still need an 8 pin into the card (which comes straight from the PSU)

Foomau5

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
I tried putting both the 6pin and 8pin directly into my gpu but the fan was too loud so i only used the 8pin but nothing really changed. It turned on like normal but i still couldn't locate my gpu through my device manager.

It does need both connected regardless of noise along with the power adapter to the port also. A noise cancelling headset might be desired to deal with the noisy fan(s).
As far as why it isn't being recognized (even with all power connected), check BIOS to see if there is a selection to allow the PCI slot to function (which may be disabled by default).
Since the Envy 15 is a series of laptops and does not refer to a specific model, I am unable to find your manual (model specific) in HP's support, if you can link your model through here, it may help http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-search.html?tab=1#!

Solution

Foomau5

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
I tried you link but i didn't have much luck with it. The laptop that i am using is a HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j063cl. I tried to go into my BIOS and got to my UEFI setup utility but it didn't give my any options for my pci, not that many options at all for that matter, it only has Main, security, system configuration and exit. Under system configuration I went to boot options and i looked around there. I then tried to run in legacy mode but it didn't change anything. Also i found out that the unkown device that showed up in my device manager was actually for my fingerprint scanner not my gpu adapter. I am going to keep looking through my BIOS to see if i see anything for my PCI settings.

Jack David

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

Can I ask if you did something different the second time you ran it in legacy mode? I have the very same adapter, and am having the same problem. I have a lenovo y580 is the only difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.