I need klipsch speaker advice please

Sprinklerguy

Prominent
Feb 13, 2017
Hey community. Thanks for any help and sorry if this is a dumb question. So I bought some klipsch Cornwall vintage 1982 speakers used. My buddies dad had some herseys growing up and the knocked out windows. So when I got these I expected even better.
They don't seem to have amazing sound. Kinda wimpy actually. For the size I thought they would really rock. I bought a new klipsch power gate 2 channel amp to run them thinking that would work good. It's 100 watts. Do I need a tube head to run them to get the strong bass? Or did I possibly get taken....like if they switched some electronics inside or something? They work but I really thought they would thump. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all

Solution
You are discovering that vintage can be cool but doesn't always perform as well as modern gear does.
You may also be used to an exaggerated amount of bass that is common on a lot of low end speakers.
Cornwalls are very efficient so you can EQ them quite a bit without straining the amp. They should go against the wall. Closer to corners will give you more bass.
Tubes will make them sound very different but mostly in the mids and highes. Usually you would get fuller bass with old school sounding tubes but not with modern tube gear which is more neutral. Not the same as the kind of deep powerful slam you were expecting.
The Klipsch amp you got is digital which in general is not know for the best bass.
You are discovering that vintage can be cool but doesn't always perform as well as modern gear does.
You may also be used to an exaggerated amount of bass that is common on a lot of low end speakers.
Cornwalls are very efficient so you can EQ them quite a bit without straining the amp. They should go against the wall. Closer to corners will give you more bass.
Tubes will make them sound very different but mostly in the mids and highes. Usually you would get fuller bass with old school sounding tubes but not with modern tube gear which is more neutral. Not the same as the kind of deep powerful slam you were expecting.
The Klipsch amp you got is digital which in general is not know for the best bass.

Solution