I need some feedback on Reclaimed, Refurbished Samsung cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I, like so many people are looking for a relatively cheap cell phone plan with not contract and have found a few that "appear" reputable enough to get into.
They have smart phones, Samsung Fascinate series, but, they are "reclaimed"... with OS 2.3.
I really don't have $400-500 for a new one and the reclaimed ones are reasonable, but I'm wondering if I can get some feedback on if these are a
good buy. I've purchased refurbished electronics and typically they work great. Does anyone have or had any luck with "reclaimed" cell phones?
Good/bad or whatever will be appreciated!
Thanks ahead of time for feedback!

Solution

Are you open to buying used on eBay? If you are considering refurbished, you might as well.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Don't buy any Android phone that old. What's your budget and what carrier are you on?

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Yeah they are, i've bought refurbished before and not had great luck, but you should have no issue.

But really,we can probably find something better for the same price. What carrier are you on and what's your budget?

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I'm using no contract Verizon and still shopping around for couple hundred bucks or less...maybe go to
TracPhone, or WalMart family plan for about $100/$40 per month for a small screen Samsung or similiar with
T-Mobile (would like to stay with Verizon as they have better coverage) and am still checking around.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Are you open to buying used on eBay? If you are considering refurbished, you might as well.

Solution

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

This is a great option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Google-Nexus-4-8GB-E960-Fair-Condition-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-/390846829009?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item5b004951d1

It is unlocked and you can take it to any GSM carrier (if they will accept it). For the price, this phone is simply unbeatable. I had it for awhile and I loved it to death.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Are you open to buying used on eBay? If you are considering refurbished, you might as well.[/quotemsg]

Not really...I'm just interested in knowing if anyone has bought reclaimed phones and what is the difference
between reclaimed and refurbished and if they are ok....nothing more and thanks for your feedback!

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Not really...I'm just interested in knowing if anyone has bought reclaimed phones and what is the difference
between reclaimed and refurbished and if they are ok....nothing more and thanks for your feedback!

[/quotemsg]

I believe that reclaimed is just a used phone from a customer, returned, and then cleaned up and resold.

Refurbished is a phone that had an issue or was broken that has been fixed, cleaned, and then resold.

As long as it has a good 90-day warranty and you can test it out, I think either one is good, and i'd go with a refurbished if you can as they often have new parts, while the reclaimed will have all old, used parts.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.