I need to access my thumb drive. When I put it in, it does not show up on the screen. I've tried to external devices in finder

Jay_165

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
I need to access my thumb drive. When I put it in, it does not show up on the screen. I've tried to external devices in finder, not there at all. Utilities, nothing there either. I don't normally use a thumb drive so please

Solution
If you have access to a PC try doing a Quick Format and format the drive using either FAT32 or exFAT and then see if the Mac will recognize the flash drive.

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
There may be a couple of things at play here. You may need to update the drivers for your USB ports. Right click on them in device manager and update the driver.

Your USB port may be malfunctioning or even dead. If you can't even see the port listed or it tells you that the device is not working properly then that may be the case.

You could also have a bad thumb drive. Does it work in a different computer? And have you tried different ports on your computer (if you have any more)?

Jay_165

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Jay_165 : "My MacBook Pro will not recognize my thumb drive at all"

My MacBook Pro will not recognize my thumb drive. Utilities/finder won't find it either. Is there another way I can open up my thumb drive?