I need your opinion. I want to buy a gaming laptop, which should I choose.

InspecT

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015
Hello, so I am planing to buy myself a laptop. I am going to use it for schoole, games and work. I don't want to spend more than ~1000 eur. For now I have to options:
MSI GP72 2QE Leopard Pro
LENOVO IdeaPad Y50-70 Black
Which one should I choose. Could you help me? Thanks in advance. :)

Solution

Hello, InspecT:

Thanks for the specs. I still consider the MSI a "shaved-down Ferrari", but the Lenovo is now probably more of a "diesel BMW 6-series".

Joking aside, I'm still with the MSI. As a Lenovo guy myself, I would love to recommend the Y50 but with the MSI you get a bigger screen, a 128 GB SSD partition on the HDD (if I've read your specs correctly) and a 5th-gen i7 CPU. Neither machine is going to play GTA V or similar next-gen games without significant...

InspecT

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015

In here where I live they sell lenovo FHD and gtx 960M 4GB. Also the MSI laptop has GTX 950M 2GB, better display and has SSD + HDD, when lenovo has only 1TB+8GB SSHD. I think that's all I could find out about these laptops. I don't know which laptop GPU's perform better. It's just about a week I started to search info about laptops.

Compuser10165

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Between the two I would go with the Lenovo one but I look at the 4k screen as a disadvantage because an gtx 860m doesn't have enough power to play games at that resolution. Also, that screen is too small for UHD, so better go with a laptop with an full hd screen. I don't know were you live but I recommend that you look for another laptop (you should find one with a 960m gpu at that price) but let's say your budget is 900-1000$ (assuming prices are high in that country). You can look at sites like xoticpc, cyberpowerpc, etc. from usa at pick a laptop that fits yu. Then see if it is available in your country at a reasonable price. I recommend an MSI laptop as it is best for price/performance in a gaming laptop.

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
For ~1000 euros you should be able to get a laptop with an i7 and a GTX 960m. From those two you mentioned the 960m is a bit better than the 950m. Neither are really good for a full hd/1080p screen though, don't expect to play games at ultra settings, more medium to high settings depending on the game.

This website has some good options for available laptops, you can check in the budget range that you wish:
https://laptopninja.io/

InspecT

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015

Will these laptops run GTA V on medium at reasonable frame rate? Or let's say cs:go, how about this game? I am currently using a PC which has 2TB HDD 5400 RPM, i7 2600K CPU @ 3.40GHZ, 8GB Ram and have nVidia GeForce GTX 560. Playing games on FullHD monitor. So will I feel any diffrence while using these laptops?

Greetings, InspecT:

If these are the machines you're considering,

MSI (CAD 1,437 or EUR 982)
http://www.amazon.ca/MSI-GP72-2QE-027US-Leopard-Pro/dp/B012FJEKRC
Lenovo ($ 1,219 or EUR 1,084)
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/?action=testD
(Scroll down and locate the Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59445918)

- my advice is to go with the MSI. The MSI has the proper gaming credentials, and although 2 GB of GPU is a bit cheap, the 5th gen i7 Intel CPU does a very good job. In fact, you could consider this MSI an entry-level machine with a 17.3-inch screen in a dedicated gaming design.

The Lenovo Y50 in my link above has a 15.6-inch UHD screen and it's pretty much maxed out on the specs. But based on my experience with my own Y50, I genuinely doubt it's going to be noticeably faster than the MSI. The Y50 is essentially a very stylish and capable multitasker, and as such I like it very much. It plays most modern games, but it will struggle to keep up with GTA V and Tomb Raider.

In my opinion you're basically choosing between a "shaved-down Ferrari California" and a "pimped-out BMW 6 series". I mean no offense to owners of either car, of course, but I think you know what I mean.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

InspecT

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015

Lenovo in my local store says it has these specifications: LENOVO IdeaPad Y50-70 Black - 15,6'' FHD (1920x1080) IPS anti-glare | Intel Core i5-4210H 2.9GHz/3MB | 8GB RAM | 1TB+SSHD8GB | GTX960M 4GB | NoODD | DOS | Eng. key

The thing is these are the best laptops I have found in my country (living in lithuania).

Hello InspecT:

I agree that both machines are very good, but if you can get your hands on an MSI with the specs quoted above, I'd still consider it a better deal. The Lenovo you're referring to is marginally better than my Y50 (the CPU is actually older than my 4th-gen i7, although the GTX960M is definitely better than my GTX860M).

Can you get a similar run-down of the MSI specs?

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

InspecT

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015
MSI GP72 2QE Leopard Pro - 17.3'' FHD (1920x1080) matte (LED Anti-Glare) | Intel® Core™ i7-5700HQ Processor (6 MB Cache, 2.7 GHz) | 8 GB RAM | 1TB (7200RPM)+SSD 128GB | GeForce GTX 950M 2GB

These are MSI GP72 2QE Leopard Pro specs. If somethings missing just tell me.

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
For school and work I guess the 17 inch screen is better. The 960m compared to the 950m is not much of a difference, though the 960m will always be 10% or so faster in games. Not really noticeable since both GPU's are entry-medium level GPU's, the difference will be only a few frames per second difference. If the MSI has the i7 it will perform better in CPU-intensive games (such as GTA V, BF4, AC).

To relate to your current system, the difference will be minimal since either laptop is not a very big improvement over your current desktop.

Hello, InspecT:

Thanks for the specs. I still consider the MSI a "shaved-down Ferrari", but the Lenovo is now probably more of a "diesel BMW 6-series".

Joking aside, I'm still with the MSI. As a Lenovo guy myself, I would love to recommend the Y50 but with the MSI you get a bigger screen, a 128 GB SSD partition on the HDD (if I've read your specs correctly) and a 5th-gen i7 CPU. Neither machine is going to play GTA V or similar next-gen games without significant adjustments in the settings menu.

I'm assuming that the prices quoted are more or less correct.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

InspecT

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015

Thank you for your help. I am not expecting to run GTA V on maxed out graphics, I just want to be able to play it with my friends :3. Just last one question, is there a big diffrence in 960M GPU and 950M, just so I would now in the future if I would stumble across in a discussion or somewhere else.

Compuser10165

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015

This is the difference between the two gpu's:
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2803&gid2=2558&compare=geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-vs-geforce-gtx-960m-2gb
So the difference is about 11%. In conclusion get a laptop with the gtx 960m if you can.
P.S. This is a very good website for comparing hardware but keep in mind that it is not accurate with unreleased hardware or very new (yet unbenchmarked) hardware.