Question I replaced a cracked coaxial wall plate now my modem won't connect to ISP.

Jul 17, 2021
I'm sure the problem is with the wall plate because I connected the modem directly to the coaxial cable from the wall without the plate and it works. It's a 2.5 ghz wall plate with the blue center. Any clues to why a wall plate would disrupt the signal? Do I need a special type of coaxial wall plate. I have Comcast.

Wolfshadw

Splendid
To my knowledge, there are no special wall plates for coaxial cables. One can pick them up from any hardware store for just a few bucks. I used to have Comcast when I lived in my old apartment. The wall plate had two ports (cable and phone). I replaced it with a custom built one for cable and Ethernet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-White-2-Gang-1-Decorator-Rocker-1-Duplex-Wall-Plate-1-Pack-5002-WH/206428222
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Category-5e-Jack-White-5025-WH/206427940

I didn't experience any issues with my cable/internet after doing so.

If it works from the cable leading to the wall plate and it doesn't work from the port at the front of the wall plate, then I would surmise that you do have a faulty coaxial port and you should exchange it.

-Wolf sends

Jul 17, 2021
I didn't think there was anything special about a wall plate. I've tried two coaxial wall plates so far none of them work. Only way I can't get the modem to work is to connect it to the cable directly as it hangs out the wall. I wish I hadn't thrown away the cracked plate so fast.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 0
P Streaming Video & TVs 0
koolx Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 0
andymbarn Streaming Video & TVs 0
T Streaming Video & TVs 8
reko91 Streaming Video & TVs 0
M Streaming Video & TVs 3
H Streaming Video & TVs 2
whitty500 Streaming Video & TVs 1