I think my graphic card is defective?

velnae

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Hello,

My laptop is a Toshiba AMD athlon X2 64 (onboard graphics). It's an old laptop, it worked perfectly for years. But lately, PC games and emulator games started to be stuttering; graphics freeze for a few seconds and the sound repeat itself, just like a jumping audio CD (while playing RPGs with epsxe, i noticed it mostly happens during the attacks in games like legend of legaia).

I found my harddrive was in bad condition, so i bought a new harddrive and i reinstalled everything, with the exact same drivers that was installed before (when the games were running fine), i keep these drivers on an external harddrive for reinstall. Everything works well now with the new harddrive but the games are still stuttering, considering the issue is not the drivers and not the harddrive, what may cause this issue? Is there a way to verify if it's my graphic card?

Solution
It is likely that the CPU and GPU need their thermal paste replace which means stripping down the laptop and removing the heatsinks, cleaning them, and reapplying new paste.

Also, It could just be that your cooling system is very full of dust, causing the same issue.

Try cleaning the fan with some compressed air, and blowing out the cooling system to free it up first ... rather than pulling down the entire laptop.
It is likely that the CPU and GPU need their thermal paste replace which means stripping down the laptop and removing the heatsinks, cleaning them, and reapplying new paste.

Also, It could just be that your cooling system is very full of dust, causing the same issue.

Try cleaning the fan with some compressed air, and blowing out the cooling system to free it up first ... rather than pulling down the entire laptop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS