I tried to do a full system restore started it last Friday morning and it is still stuck at 64%

Katherine_11

Commendable
May 23, 2016
My HP laptop had an issue that was making me mad so I started a full system restore May 20th at 08:00 and it is now May 23rd at 5:17 p.m. and it still isn't finished. It restarts every once in a while but goes right back to installing windows at 94% it is stuck in the same spot..

Solution

Hell, that thing's under warranty. It sucks, but you'll have to take it/send it back.

I've been hearing too many stories of laptops breaking like this almost immediately.

Garilia

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Basic questions...did you disable any antivirus, or do the system restore in safe mode?

You can try to create a restore point manually.

Disable your antivirus or security software and then try to create a system restore point.

Boot in Safe Mode and see if you create a system restore point or restore to a prior restore point. Many a times, non-Microsoft services or Drivers can interfere with the proper functioning of System Restore. Alternatively you could also execute a Clean Boot and see if you are able to get system restore working.

Run the System File Checker ie. Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. Reboot on completion and try now.

Run Check Disk, by opening an elevated command prompt. Type chkdsk /f /r and hit Enter. Let the process complete and then try again.

Make sure that System Restore is enabled on the drives where you want System Restore enabled. Right-click computer > Properties > System protection. Check Protection settings. To store restore points, you need at least 300 MB of free space on each hard disk that has System Protection turned on.

Make sure that you have sufficient disk space on all the drives where System Restore is enabled

Type Services.msc in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy & Task Scheduler & Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service is Running and set on Automatic. If the Status of System Restore Service is Not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not. A reboot may be required. Re-confirm again, and now try.

Type eventvwr.msc /s in Search Box & hit Enter to open the Event Viewer. Double-click on Applications & Services Logs and see if you are able to evaluate the event description or the cause of problem.

Reset the Repository. To do so follows these steps:

Boot into Safe Mode without networking and open a command prompt as administrator.
Now Type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter. This will stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service
Next go to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and rename the repository folder to repositoryold
Restart.
Again open a command prompt as administrator, type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter.

Next type winmgmt /resetRepository and hit Enter.

Restart.

Now see if you can create a System Restore Point manually.

Hope something helps.

Garilia

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Interrupt the process at this point. Unplug and remove the battery. It sounds drastic, but there's something really wrong when it doesn't stop itself and give you an error code. I was able to salvage a desktop that was behaving that way and get an extra year out of it. I was not able to resurrect an ACER laptop, so now I have that around as a "project." The desktop held on long enough for me to save up the money to build a new machine, and then I was able to salvage the data off my old hdd to my new machine.

Garilia

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014

Hell, that thing's under warranty. It sucks, but you'll have to take it/send it back.

I've been hearing too many stories of laptops breaking like this almost immediately.

Solution