I want to learn coding/programming but have no idea where to begin.

WILLYumDAO

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I've tried CodeAcademy but I'm not so sure HTML/CSS/JavaScript are what I want to be learning.
I tried Code.org but their K-8 lesson plan is not exactly the most appealing to a 16 year old in 12th grader.

So if I'm going to thrust myself into the world of Computer Science, how shall I begin?

Solution
go back to code academy and take the python course. its not the most popular language but it is a fully featured object oriented language that is similar enough to c and java

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I'd say to first learn C++, then again i'm an old school person so no idea how programming is being taught nowadays, still, if you learn the C language properly you won't have problems understanding any of the newer languages out there. Highly advisable to have some tutor for this though, many doubts won't be able/will be really hard to clear if you don't have someone experienced with you to guide you.

urmamasllama

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
go back to code academy and take the python course. its not the most popular language but it is a fully featured object oriented language that is similar enough to c and java

Solution

Pinhedd

Distinguished

I second RaDiKaL_. Learn C first. Leave the C++ for later, but be advised that most modern compiler suites use the same compiler for C, C++, Objective-C, and Objective-C++.

C may seem tough at first, but it's a very narrow language that provides programmers with an enormous degree of control. The narrow syntax means that it's easy to learn and unlike C++ there's preciously few shortcuts or gotchas built into the language or standard examples that you need to be aware of. It really is the best language for learning good techniques and is by far the best if you're interested in understanding what's going on.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
I am about a year older than you and have started programming when I was about 14. I've used mostly online YouTube videos to learn my HTML and CSS, but other sites on the web to learn JavaScript.
I'd say that Codecademy has some great free courses.
Also, W3schools has great references tables and great tutorials.

Codecademy: http://www.codecademy.com/
W3schools: http://www.w3schools.com/

WILLYumDAO

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I've looked into it more and Python seems to be the most beginner-friendly. It apparently uses a simpler, readable syntax and I think it'll be the best starter language to transition to Java and C/C++ after. Thanks for all the input guys.

I'll be using the free courses on Codecademy and LearnStreet if any bystanding forum-goers also want to try a little Python.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

I did that for C++, but my local library hasn't been updated in so long.
The most recent book I could find was a PC game design book from 1999.
So... make sure that you only read newer content.

true.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Why? C99 and C++98 are still the most broadly supported standards. I don't think that there's any one single compiler that fully supports C11 and/or C++11 in their entirety.