I need help with choosing a coding language to learn.

Timotei_1

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
Hey, person, I'd like to learn how to code. Where do I start?
This would be my 2nd programming language i learn, the first was GML, it's not used outside of GMS. GMS is for games only, i'd like to make programs
I want a really easy to learn and useful language, i am 13 and i am looking to make my first moves into programming.

I thought about trying to learn the following languages: C++, Python, Ruby or JavaScript, but i want a professional's opinion first.
A friend recommended me C++, another recommended me JavaScript(since GML is the only language i know, he said "GML is similar to JavaScript"). I found Ruby and Python on a a list for the easiest programming languages.

What I want to make:
-simple programs
-"goofy" programs
-serious/advanced programs
*maybe some 2D games (but i already know GML for that)
*remote control development(i heard that is closely tied with the IDE that you are using)

The stuff with a * are optional things that are not as important to me, please, do not pick your answer based on the things with a *!

Could you recommend me a book or something that would help me learn that language?

I also need a free IDE for that language(that is not Visual studio, my free trial expired even before i can get started with learning how to code)

Solution
Visual Studio Community is free, virtually identical to Visual Studio Pro which is the paid tier. https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/free-developer-offers/

indsup

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
If you are looking for a good basis look to C++ first. Most will branch from that one way or the other. Rust is a good language and is easier to pick up. More and more is being written in rust. Visual Studio community is one of the best starting points. It supports numerous languages and you can get sample code to learn from. Good luck and good coding.

indsup

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015

The best way to start is learning the basis for essentially all programming languages. C or C++. the others are all pretty much based off of those two. But a very powerful language that is easier to learn is Rust. Totally up to you and what you want to do with your career through life.